Chapter 22

I stared at Destiny for what seemed like forever. Silence. Everything was in slow motion. She turned to cough, then turned back and smiled. It was one of those kind, compassionate expressions that invite the sharing of secrets. I didn't know what to think or feel. Had she completely lost her mind? Exactly what kind of horrible game was she playing? Were Destiny and Will both out to drive me crazy?

But I had to keep calm. I couldn't yell at a woman who was terminally ill. A few stray tears slipped down my cheeks.

"Destiny, I think it's best if I go... I don't want to be part of... of this story. It doesn't make sense. I think you have the wrong person."

Destiny gently touched my arm.

"Katherine, I told you this wouldn't be easy, but we don't have much choice in the matter. I know this is painful. It reminds you of your suicide attempts, the years of physical and mental suffering, the battle with anorexia. You never understood the reason for your misery. Life at home was perfectly normal—or at least as normal as everyone else's. Your sister, Blanche, led a charmed existence while you fought invisible demons."

The tears continued to fall. How did she know all of this about me? I felt sick to my stomach. I wished I never had come here. Will must have known what was going on. How could he have led me here? For once, I wanted to be back at home with Paul. I never should have agreed to come to London and The Grand East Hotel in the first place. Why hadn't I been able to accept my life as it was?

"Paul isn't meant for you," Destiny said. "This is your last chance to be with your one true love. Don't throw it away, Katherine!"

"What are you talking about? And how do you know about Paul and Blanche... and everything? This is too crazy."

I got up and stumbled forward. Coughing, Destiny rose from the loveseat and grabbed hold of my arm.

"I can tell you things about your past and your future, and as you can see, they're true." For the first time, Destiny's voice took on a sense of urgency. "You have to go to Will. Don't be angry with him. You can't hurt him again. You can't hurt yourself again."

"What do you mean about Will?" I asked.

Destiny continued coughing. She gripped my arm, as if for support. Before I could help her back to the couch, Margaret came rushing into the room.

"Destiny, you know you're not supposed to be doing this! To be getting all excited!" She shook her head, put a firm arm around Destiny and nearly dragged her toward the French doors. "She goes into a coughing fit every time she gets upset."

"Wait," Destiny said between coughs as she pushed Margaret away with one burst of violent energy. She looked at me then with wide eyes. "Will was Jonathan! He knows this and has for a long time. He's been working with me and searching for you."

"Destiny, this is outrageous. I can't believe any of it. How can you expect me to fall for such a joke?"

The coughing again. Margaret yanked Destiny back toward the door and looked at me in annoyance.

"Can't you see she should not be disturbed? Really! Whether you agree with what she has to say or not, can't you let the poor girl be? She's probably hallucinating. I'm taking her up to bed. The driver is out front to take you back to the hotel."

I felt as if I had been slapped. Margaret was right, but I was too shaken to be using any judgment. I had to get out of there.

"Katherine, all I ask is that you think this over before saying you don't believe." Destiny's voice rang out as the nurse helped her up the stairs. "Think of what you've seen and heard over the past few months. Do you really need more proof?"

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!