Chapter 25

April 4, an hour later

"What's happened here?" I asked.

Gwen turned around, her face brightening. She was arranging some papers in the makeshift office we had used since the beginning.

"Kat, you're back! As I had hoped—and right on time. The second part of this exhibit is going to be fabulous. Who knows? It could even be better than the first. Can you believe how much we've sold already?"

I hadn't paid any attention to the tally. After cashing the first few checks, I panicked. The unopened envelopes stacked up on my desk at home. Paul kept asking why I wouldn't open them, and I kept saying I was scared to see my failure. Then he would roll his eyes, shake his head and mumble something about how arguing with me was pointless.

Gwen kissed me on both cheeks and nearly pushed me into one of the angular armchairs she had acquired since my departure. She was saying something about how successful we'd been so far, but I was too preoccupied to join in on the excitement.

Finally, I pressed the newspaper into her hands.

"Gwen, read this. And then tell me what you really know about this place and about Destiny."

Her glowing eyes dimmed, and she gazed at me curiously.

"Go ahead," I said. "It's pretty short."

She scanned the lines and then looked up.

"Why are you asking me, Kat?"

"Because you've held other exhibits here, Gwen... and you know pretty much everyone who comes through these doors. You've heard things."

Gwen sank back into her seat and sighed.

"Gossip isn't always the way to go, Kat. I hear many, many stories, but you can only believe about one percent of them."

"I'm interested in the strange happenings in this place. I'm not the only one who's witnessed them."

Gwen was silent for a moment, and I could almost see the wheels turning in her mind.

"Yes, you're right. I've had some experiences myself."

"Destiny came to your door too?"

She shook her head.

"No, I've heard the late-night parties, the laughter. And then when I checked around, I never saw a thing."

"And in spite of that, you keep coming back?"

"Why not?" she asked, shrugging. "What difference does it make? Perhaps it even adds a bit of charm to this otherwise very proper hotel."

"You don't want to get to the bottom of it? You have no desire to find out why?"

"Kat, I'll leave that to the detectives and so should you. There's a reasonable explanation for everything. It's nothing to get excited about."

"Well, apparently this could keep the hotel from selling."

"That shouldn't matter to you."

"None of this would matter to me if I hadn't been dragged into it by Destiny!"

"What are you talking about, Kat?"

"Nothing. Never mind..." I was pretty frustrated at this point. "I only was hoping you might have some more information on the strangeness around here..."

"Kat, the mysterious party sounds have been going on for three years, and I think that's one of the reasons the owner wants to sell. The hotel has lost some business because of the gossip, the stories and the noise. But some say the hotel has gained new visitors who are intrigued. So who knows if the reason is completely financial? Perhaps it's emotional as well. Now this article says the mystery factor could make it a hard sell. I suppose that's another perspective. Anyway, there's nothing more I can tell you. I think you have more of a privileged relationship with Destiny than I do."

"Why do you say that?"

"Because she comes to see you. Why don't you ask her your questions? She's the one with the answers about the parties and things, isn't she?"

"Yeah, but the problem is she doesn't share them."

"My turn now: I have a question for you." Gwen stood up and took a step toward me. "Have you returned to take part in this exhibit or are you going to disappear again?"

"I can't stay here, Gwen. I have to go home... to start over."

"That's not easy."

She wished me luck as I took the newspaper and hurried out of the room.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!