Chapter 31

April 30, later that evening

I slammed the door and threw the newspaper (turned to the "help wanted" section) onto the floor along with the apartment keys. My heart raced as I stumbled into the darkness of the living room and followed a single light in the hallway. His brother's SUV was double parked along the curb and a pile of Paul's books and CDs filled the front seat.

"Paul!" I called out, hurrying into the bedroom. "What's going on?"

But I knew exactly what was happening even before he snapped the suitcase shut. He was leaving.

"I thought you were above that kind of thing," he said. "That's what I told you the other night, remember?"

He stepped toward me and grabbed my wrists.

"Stop it! You're hurting me!" I twisted my hands from his grasp and backed away. "What are you talking about anyway?"

"Oh, come on, Kat! Why don't we stop hiding things? Be honest and tell me you were kissing your lover Will right in front of our apartment. John and I saw the whole show!"

I trembled with the fear and embarrassment of being caught. He saw. He knew.

"Great to be walking down the street with a colleague and then see your girlfriend making out with another guy."

He glared at me through eyes filled with tainted pride.

"So that's what upset you the most then," I said. "Being embarrassed in front of a friend."

"Don't try to push guilt back to me, Kat." He grasped my shoulders and wouldn't let go. "Your game won't work this time. I would have forgiven you if this was a story from the past, when things weren't going well between us. But we agreed to move on—together, truthfully. I trusted you. That it was over..."

"I trusted you once too," I said coldly, as he pushed me away and caught the handle of his suitcase.

Tears welled up in the corners of my eyes, but I wouldn't let them fall. They were tears of emptiness, of a total lack of emotion. I didn't care if he left or stayed. And I didn't even care that his ego was hurt more than his heart. For one split second, everything was meaningless.

I followed him into the living room and pointed to a pile of his business papers that remained in a constant clutter on the desk.

"Take all of your shit and get the hell out of here."

I felt liberated. This was the right decision. A clean break. Finally, an attempt to take charge of my life.

He glared at me as he scooped up every last one.

"Who is he, anyway, this Will? Someone you met in London while you were dodging my phone calls?"

"I think you should leave now." I inhaled and exhaled slowly as if somehow this relaxation method could transport me above and beyond.

He opened his mouth as if to say something, then obviously thought better of it, and made his way to the door. I didn't start breathing normally until the engine roared down the street.

"Why did you do it, Kat?" Blanche asked, all reason an hour later as we sat facing each other on her couch.

I couldn't stay in the apartment I had shared with Paul. I wanted to erase the memories—good and bad. Blanche said that was nonsense. As usual, we never agreed.

"You mean break up with him or kiss Will in the middle of the street?" I asked.

"Both."

She handed me a cup of mint tea and took a sip of her own.

I stared into the yellowish liquid that drew me into a trance.

"Well?"

"The part with Will wasn't my fault. He started it, and then I pulled away. As for the breakup, it's the right thing, Blanche. I should have done it earlier instead of trying to patch up a relationship that has too many holes. I'm not sad about it—really."

"What's bothering you then? Something is there... weighing on your heart."

I couldn't tell her that what upset me the most was knowing that a strange force was pushing me in Will's direction. I was afraid. Of the story that was senseless. Of Destiny and her power. Of Sam and his sadness. And more than anything, I was afraid of what I was discovering within my own heart.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!