Chapter 47

May 19, during the night

"Ah, the tango!" Gabriel exclaimed, raising his glass of champagne and admiring the dancers who glided across the floor. Even surrounded by partygoers gyrating around the bar, he stood out, sparkling like a diamond that had taken human form. The rhythm carried me blindly past Gabriel and through the crowd. I didn't remember how I had made my way to the gathering or understand why I was there.

The lights were so dim. My eyes searched desperately. Looking for Will, Sam, Destiny. Then I remembered Destiny was gone forever, and Will and Sam were both in New York. There, I was thinking straight for once. But that still didn't explain how I had ended up at yet another one of Gabriel's parties. I took a deep breath, scurried past a couple who had almost tangoed right over my bare feet and sat timidly in one of the bucket seats near the window. I tapped my fingers on the lacquered cocktail table and watched the dancers float past. I admired the women's glittery false eyelashes, severe chignons and jewel-toned stiletto heels. I followed their moves, both sharp and graceful, as the music transformed itself from one tango to the next.

Must be the theme for the evening, I said to myself.

"It certainly is," a familiar voice whispered near my ear. "Don't tell me you don't know how to tango."

I turned with a start, muttering something about how I hadn't realized I had been speaking aloud. Instantly, I recognized the man who had bought me the black hat on the first day of the year. He settled down in the chair next to me and set two glasses of champagne on the table.

"If you don't dance, at least humor me by having a drink."

"I didn't expect... I mean, what are... What are you doing here?" I asked, stumbling over my words. "I don't even know how I got to this place or..."

"Has anyone ever told you that you ask too many questions?"

He smiled, his strange golden eyes shining, and lifted his glass.

"Come now," he coaxed. "We don't have all night."

Dumbly, I touched my glass to his and took a minute sip. The bubbles swirled around my brain as I studied this man who acted as if meeting me here was the most ordinary thing in the world. He ran a hand over his tanned, bald scalp and flicked a gray silk scarf over his shoulder.

"How do I know you?" I whispered.

"From the hat shop, of course. You haven't forgotten about your gift, have you?"

"No, no, no. Of course not. It was beautiful. Thank you. I... I just... It just seems like... Even then, it was as if you knew me."

I felt the heat rising into my cheeks. I took a great gulp of champagne, followed by another. The bubbles were really going to town.

"I have another gift for you," he said, smiling and taking a brilliant pair of amethyst earrings out of his pocket. Little gold flowers with the stone set in the middle.

Before I could say a word, he had fixed them to my earlobes.

"I can't accept these."

"Don't be ridiculous. Of course you can. Gifts from friends should never be refused. It is impolite, and I shall not approve of it."

"Thank you, then... but really, you didn't have to."

"You should have them," he said.

"What's your name?" I asked, using my boldest voice.

"Zachary Taylor."

"You probably already know mine." I finished the rest of my champagne in one swig.

"Why do you say that?"

I turned to find a fresh glass of champagne where my empty one had been only a few seconds ago.

"Because whenever I'm at one of these parties, the most extraordinary things happen."

He smiled, a kind, paternal expression lighting up his face, but he didn't answer my question. I lifted the second glass to my lips and drained it.

"Come along, Katherine."

He took my hand and led me to the dance floor before I could refuse.

"I don't know how..."

"Not a problem," he said. "I learned this one recently, but when it comes to dance in general, I am an old pro."

Gracelessly, I followed, my feet tripping their way backwards through the complicated steps. A few of the faces seemed familiar. I must have seen them at the other parties. But I felt too woozy to care. My head was spinning from a champagne overdose and the music, which grew louder and louder. The other couples didn't appear to notice my lack of correct attire or my awkward movements. As usual, Gabriel's parties were all about effervescence, pure joy bubbling wildly to the top of an already full glass.

And then, when least expected, it overflowed.

A piercing scream. I thrashed about in the dark, feeling around for Zachary Taylor's firm hand, which no longer held mine. Where was I? Engulfed in darkness, sweat soaking through my thin cotton nightshirt, my eyelids fighting some invisible force that willed them to remain shut. I bolted upright, knocked over the clock on the night table and managed to flick on a weak light.

Footsteps running down the hall. Voices echoing. In the distance, sirens. I threw a sweatshirt over my head, pulled on the long skirt I had worn the previous day and hurried dizzily out the door.

Still half asleep, reeling between what had unfolded in my dream and what was going on in the hotel, I followed the mazelike hallways. Alone, I rushed to the atrium, beckoned by the sounds of hysterical voices. When I gripped the cold cement wall and looked down, I understood the reason for the commotion. Through a haze of onlookers blocking my view, I glimpsed the form of a woman. She was lying on the marble floor, face down in a pool of blood.

The scream of horror billowing in my throat was silenced by the arrival of an ambulance. My eyes watched every move as it unfolded. The hotel staff, operating in slow motion in time with the police officers' instructions, guests, gripping their robes across their chests and scurrying left and right... And then the paramedics lifted the young woman from the ground. A sequined purple dress hung limply from the lifeless body and traced a streak of blood along the floor. I cringed and felt an icy shiver run down my spine as I got a full view of her black French twist, now half unwound, and her small round face. Not because they were ruined by the impact of her fall, but because I recognized her. She was Audrey, Destiny's best friend.

I pounded the elevator button and got in for a ride to the ground floor. I pushed my way through the crowd, not caring what people said or did. I had to get a closer look. I had to be sure. And then, a second after I took one last glimpse and convinced myself I hadn't been mistaken, I collapsed.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!