Chapter 30

April 30

Just when the dust seemed to settle, something came along to whip it up once again. Or I should say "someone."

I felt his presence before he said a word. Fumbling with my keys after locking the front door, I turned around, almost knowing he would be there.

"You look as if you were expecting me," Will said, taking a step closer. "That's a good sign."

"What are you doing here?" I asked, trying to keep my voice cool.

"Hmm, you don't sound as happy to see me as I'd hoped."

I took a deep breath and steeled myself against everything that made me want to throw myself into Will's arms. I would remain in control.

I tucked an untamed curl behind my ear, dropped the keys into my favorite straw bag and started walking. Will followed, putting his hand on my arm. An electric shock ran up my back. I stopped and turned to him.

"Why are you doing this? How did you and Destiny find out so much about my past? And why create the ridiculous fable about some kind of life together a century ago? You expected me to believe that?"

"You aren't tempted to entertain the idea? Even with the supporting evidence Destiny provided?"

"I don't see any kind of proof."

"If Destiny didn't have a special ability, how could she have known things about your childhood?"

"People have their ways of spying on others..."

"And why would Destiny lie to you anyway? Why would she create such a story?"

"That's what I'd like to know."

"Listen, I understand. It's difficult to believe. I know it sounds preposterous. But haven't you ever heard of listening to your heart rather than following the common path?"

Will took my hands and pulled me closer as if we were alone in the world instead of on a street with dozens of passersby who couldn't care less about us anyway. My heart was pounding wildly. His mouth touched mine, lingering, delicate. Then passionately melting into my own. Right that second, I wished and hoped that Destiny's story could be true.

And then I took a step back. Back to reality.

"Show me some real evidence, Will," I said between gritted teeth. "All I've seen so far is smoke and mirrors."

I turned away from the sadness in his eyes and ran. As fast as I could, I zigzagged around couples, kids, strollers and street signs until I was far enough to let the tears run free.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!