Chapter 70

June 3

Three days passed. My only activities had been crying, working on last-minute revisions to my magazine piece, and wondering how, despite the turmoil, I wasn't in the same state of mind I had been in all of my life until meeting Destiny. I no longer had the same kind of problems, I told myself. A small voice in my head reminded me I no longer had the tragedy of Victoria and Jonathan tormenting me from the depths of my soul. But did that really make such a difference? 

These were the thoughts running through my mind as I walked toward the front door on my way to meet with my editor. And right then and there, I stopped. An envelope had been tossed through the mail slot, and I had nearly stepped on it. What caught my attention was the handwriting. It was a note from Will.

Kat,

So you see? I was right not to believe you. I heard you were looking for me. I could have easily emerged from this sabbatical of sorts and rushed to meet you on your territory. That's what I would have done a month ago. But after thinking over the situation these past few days, I realized that maybe time apart isn't so bad. More time to reflect on the past and the future... And by the way, welcome back to New York.

Will

I could hardly breathe as the excitement bubbled up. Will was launching some sort of challenge. I read his message over and over. He was turning the tables on me. Now that I was ready to follow my heart, he was going to make it difficult. This new twist to our relationship set off a spark of intrigue deep within. I turned over the envelope to look for any clue about its origin, but of course, I found nothing. Someone—maybe even Will himself—had delivered it directly to my door.

He was still in New York. I could feel it.

I threw open the front door and stepped outside as if something there would guide me to him. But at this time of day, I was standing on the sidewalk of a rather sleepy little street with only a few teenagers and their basketball heading to the court a block away. I squinted against the early rays of sunlight and looked around. Will could have been a few feet away in any direction and I wouldn't necessarily be able to find him without looking completely foolish.

"OK, fine," I said aloud. "If you want to know what I have to say, stand by..."

Glancing at my watch, I hurried back inside. If I left in 15 minutes, I wouldn't be excessively late for my meeting. That gave me just enough time to show Will that I wouldn't let him win this little game quite so easily.

Will,

I wasn't ready to fall into your arms, in spite of what you might think. Yes, I was hoping to see you at the gallery, but I was paying you a friendly visit—nothing more. Let's say that my reflections at this point are focused on the lives of Jonathan and Victoria. Maybe one day we can share our knowledge of the subject. You might be amazed at how much I've learned...

Kat

I carefully folded the note into an envelope, addressed it to Will's gallery and slipped it into the mailbox at the end of the street.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!