Chapter 57

May 24

"Has any more information been released about the accident?" I asked in a hushed voice as I leaned across the front desk.

Another new employee. He looked up at me with a blank, round-eyed stare.

"Excuse me, but I don't know what you're referring to, Ma'am."

"Only a couple of days ago," I said, exasperated. "The fall?"

A woman with a perfect black chignon gently placed a hand on his arm.

"Nigel, why don't you help this gentleman over here check in, and I'll assist our guest."

Nigel nodded, and with what seemed to be much relief, stepped aside.

"How may I assist you?" the woman asked. "You were asking about the accident, I believe? I recognize you from that night."

I hoped she didn't remember that the police had questioned me and kept insisting that I was drunk. My face burned with embarrassment at the thought.

"Yes," I said, trying to push my own feelings out of the way. "I was wondering if they've identified the body or determined what happened."

The woman shook her head.

"Nothing so far. I suppose we should know in the next few days. In any case, we won't find out anything ahead of the public. It will probably be in the tabloids before we learn about it."

She shook her head again and crossed her arms over the badge that read: Colette, Guest Relations.

"I hope you haven't had any problems. We certainly don't want any disruptions for our guests."

"Everything is fine, thank you."

"It seems like a horrid accident, that's all. But who am I to say?"

Then she squinted her eyes and tapped a finger on the counter.

"Ah, I think I have an envelope for you... It was left at the desk earlier."

"Oh? I wasn't expecting anything."

My voice might have sounded casual, but my heart skipped a beat as thoughts of Will rushed into my mind.

She handed me a slim, pale-blue envelope with my name and room number written across the top.

"Who left this for me?"

"Unfortunately, I haven't the slightest idea." She shrugged. "It came by post in a larger envelope addressed to the hotel. Can I be of help to you with anything else?"

"No thanks, I'm all set," I said over my shoulder as I hurried away and headed toward my room. I ripped the envelope open as I walked, but it was only after sitting down on the bed and taking a deep breath that I unfolded the thin sheet of paper that had been tucked inside.

Dear Katherine,

I have something very important to tell you about Destiny. Meet me at her house tonight at 8 p.m. sharp. I'll feel more comfortable there, almost as if Destiny were with us. Please don't worry and don't be frightened. I'm someone you can trust. I only want to help you in your quest.

Kind regards.

No signature. I read the words over and over as if somehow important supplementary information would suddenly appear. Of course, that strategy didn't work. I chewed on my lip as I gazed at the letter.

What game was this person trying to play? Why couldn't he or she meet me in my room? And was this a close friend or a family member? It didn't seem as if Destiny had anyone in her life besides the group I had met at the parties. Yet this person knew a few things about me.

Maybe I should have been worried or scared about meeting up with a stranger at Destiny's place, but at this point, I wasn't thinking of my personal safety. I had nothing to lose.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!