Chapter 76

June 16, afternoon

"Who was she, anyway?" I asked.

I gently brushed away the dust that had been masking her name. There, it shined as brightly as ever on the little bench in Central Park. The lovely Jean.

The man who diligently cared for the plaque with Jean's name sighed, sat down beside me and set his leather bag on the clumps of tattered grass at our feet.

"She fascinates even those who never knew her," he said, half to himself.

"I'm sorry... I don't know why." I stumbled over my own words. "It's just that over the past several weeks things have been difficult. But coming here makes me feel better."

My face was reddening.

"I'm being kind of silly actually," I mumbled. "The idea of imagining this beautiful woman with a zest for life, using her as a point of reference. I know—it's ridiculous. Let's forget about it. I had better be on my way."

I started to get up, but the man put a hand on my arm.

"No, please don't leave. I haven't answered your question."

"You don't have to. I was being nosy."

"Not at all."

I sat down tentatively at the edge of the bench.

"She was one of my patients... but she was more than that too. She left us a few years ago—much too early. But I don't want to focus on that. It's best to focus on her life. An extraordinary young woman. She was a photographer and traveled the world snapping shots of wildlife. She had set up a gallery with her dear friend Will, and they displayed their work."

"Did you say 'Will'?" My voice caught in my throat. I knew. Now I knew why I kept coming back to this bench.

"Yes, his gallery is right here in the neighborhood. He kept it going but took on another business partner."

"I think I know him," I said. "Will Delaney."

"Yes, that's it. And you happened upon this bench one day? By accident?"

I nodded.

The doctor grinned.

"She still never ceases to amaze me," he said, again almost to himself.

My mind was racing. Who had led me to this bench anyway? Was it Jean herself? Could it have been Destiny? She must have known Jean. All of these forces from beyond kept pushing me in the same direction. And finally, I was ready to listen.

One more chance. That's what we have. If you want to take me up on it, I'll be waiting on Jean's bench in Central Park. Don't ask me how I know. I just do. I'll be there at 5 p.m. tomorrow.

That was the note I slipped into Will's mailbox. He was home. I was sure he hadn't left the city for a minute.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!