Chapter 74

June 15, night

"It's time," the familiar, lilting voice whispered in my ear.

Everything was blurry and spinning, and then suddenly, all was clear. Destiny and I sat across from each other at the table I had occupied with Zachary Taylor as dancers swirled by in colorful costumes. She seemed to glow as her warm hand touched mine and her golden dress reflected the hazel tones in her eyes.

"Time for what?" I felt as if my voice was far, far away, emerging from an unknown part of myself.

"Time to repair the errors of a century ago, of course. That's what this whole story is about, after all. You've already realized that your anxiety and sadness stemmed from a tragic past. Why do you think the depression that drove you to anorexia and suicide attempts disappeared so quickly this time after years of unsuccessfully fighting it? Because you know the truth now. Finally, you know the truth."

"So that's what this was really about..."

"Righting the wrong," Destiny said.

I glanced around quickly but didn't see any of the usual characters.

"Where are they?" I asked.

"You no longer need them."

I woke up trembling in damp sheets and noted every word, as I knew that I would no longer be meeting with Destiny.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!