Chapter 58

May 24, 7:55 p.m.

Hyde Park was abloom with daffodils and wildflowers, and trees boasted their lush green leaves of springtime as the cab chugged through the tail-end of rush-hour traffic and made its way to Kensington Square. A constant shiver had been running up and down my spine since I had received the note summoning me to Destiny's house. That's exactly what it had seemed like: a summons. In the style of Destiny. As if she herself had written it.

The car rolled to a slow and dignified halt, in keeping with the image of the stately homes lining the street. I pressed a wad of bills and a couple of thick, heavy coins into the driver's hand and cringed as I almost walked into the path of an oncoming car. I still hadn't gotten used to the road rules.

Thinking back to my conversations with Destiny, I took each step with a heavy heart. How would it feel to enter that sitting room and know she would never return? I glanced at my watch as I reached the top step. Right on time.

My heart was racing as I rang the bell. Delicate footsteps echoed, approached. The latch slipped free, and the door opened.

"Hello Kat." A familiar voice. My breath caught in my throat.

Gwen Garnier took me by the hand and invited me inside.

"What are you doing here?!" I finally managed to say as I followed her into the drawing room. "This doesn't make any sense."

"Don't worry, it will in a moment," she said, smiling and squeezing my hand reassuringly. "Have a seat and make yourself at home—please."

I sat on the velvet chair I had occupied on my previous visit. Gwen had already prepared a pot of tea and handed me a heart-shaped porcelain cup of oolong as she settled down on the loveseat.

"I hope this is all right?" she said.

"It's fine." I took a sip to calm the jitters that were only starting to subside. After all, in spite of the confusing situation, I reminded myself that I normally felt comfortable with Gwen. But what was she doing here? She, who always seemed to be prodding me for information about Destiny...

The drapes were wide open and the French doors ajar to let in a stream of sweet-scented fresh air. The garden was almost overgrown with buds and full blooms of red, yellow, peach, and pink and white roses.

"The scent is wonderful, isn't it?" Gwen gazed out at the symphony of color. "But I must say, a gardener really is needed to take care of them. Destiny did it all herself, but not everyone has such a green thumb."

She pushed a plate of butter cookies toward me, then took one herself and settled back against the couch. This was the first time I had seen her in jeans, barefoot and without her phone.

"Why did you call me here?" I asked, shaking my head in frustration. "And why didn't you tell me you had some kind of relationship with Destiny? At least more of one than I ever did. Why did you keep that from me, Gwen? Why did you act as if you didn't even know her? And the parties? What about that? What kind of charade are you playing anyway?"

She brushed cookie crumbs off her lap and leaned toward me.

"Kat, I'm sorry. I didn't want to lie to you, but I had no choice. I'll explain. Destiny was my cousin. A distant cousin, but a cousin all the same. As adults, we weren't as close as we were as children, but we had a lot of respect for each other. We helped each other out when we could. That's why I invited you to participate in the art show."

"I still don't get it."

"I was part of the plan to bring you and Will together, Kat."

"What?" I asked, trying in vain to quell my hysteria. "But how did you find me? How did you know I had done the artwork? And what about Dr. Bell?"