Chapter 15

Later that day

I could hardly believe my eyes. As I was walking out of the Union Square subway station, I nearly slammed right into Sam. We both immediately recognized each other. I didn't know what to say, and he didn't either, so we said, "Hello, how's it going?" and other banal things. He had the same sad, worried look in his eyes that I remembered from the parties.

I asked him if he had a few minutes. We could run into a coffee shop around the corner... He said "yes," so we ordered two cappuccinos and settled down at a rather grimy booth in a place I had never noticed before.

"I've tried to reach Destiny, but she didn't answer my letter." My words felt pathetic and desperate, but I didn't care. "I don't know how to get in touch with her..."

"You're better off this way, Katherine." His expression hardened.

"Why? I don't understand."

Sam took a slow sip of his drink and looked me directly in the eye. I could see the pain again.

"You can't put your faith in her," he said. "I did once, and I was wrong. She can't be trusted."

I shook my head. "Sam, this is all so vague..."

"I can't say much more." He shook his head, buried his gaze in his cup. "It's just that there are things Destiny could do or say to make a difference in people's lives. Yet, when it really matters, everything falls through. When it truly matters."

I swallowed hard. I was thinking of Will right at that moment. Was this the kind of scenario Sam was referring to? Bringing people together and then leaving them with no way of contacting each other?

"Isn't Gabriel her brother? What does he think of this?"

Sam closed his eyes and took a deep breath.

"We never could talk about Destiny," he said. "Gabriel would never admit that Destiny is responsible..."

"For what?"

"For what happened in my life, and in other people's lives. Like yours, for instance."

"You know something about Will?" I asked, leaning across the table.

Sam shook his head again. "I don't think I know any more than you do. I saw him once, or maybe twice, at the parties. He's part of Destiny's past. Not part of her regular crowd. She probably wanted you two to meet because you belong together. It's as simple as that."

"Well then why didn't she give us a way to reach each other afterward?" I could hear the frustration in my own voice.

"As I said, Destiny only does part of the job. I'm tired of it, Katherine. I don't want to see her again, but I don't have a choice."

Sam's eyes were glassy with unshed tears. I reached across the table and took his hand. He smiled miserably and thanked me for my kindness.

"Why can't you tell Gabriel that you refuse to see his sister? If she's that much of a problem..."

"It's a complex situation, and it's something I have to live with. But for you, Katherine, it's a different story. It's not too late for you to forget about Destiny, to break free."

"She's my only link to Will," I said, almost to myself. I took a sip of my now cold coffee.

"That's the problem. And I know it's a difficult choice."

"Well, for the moment, it looks as if I don't have one. She seems to have turned her back on me."

"Not for long," Sam said. "Believe me."

Sam's phone rang, and he picked it up. He had to leave. I asked for his number, and he scribbled it down on a napkin.

"One more thing," I said as he was slipping on his black trench coat. "How could it be that Destiny throws her parties in an attic that's under renovation?"

"Very simple," he said. "It's all an illusion."

He turned and hurried out the door before I could say anything further. Mouth half open, I sat there at the cracked wooden table and tried to understand the meaning of those final words. But it was impossible. Like everything else when it came to Destiny.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!