Chapter 55

May 23

I spent the past day and a half in bed crying, feeling sorry for myself and wondering how I was going to get my life back together. Then, Blanche called and asked if everything was all right. I'd forgotten my promise to call her. She was still concerned about me after Audrey's death the other night. I tried not to sound too annoyed or reveal what I was going through mentally as she assailed me with her usual list of questions.

The grand finale of the interrogation: "How are you going to pay for that hotel room?"

My answer: "The magazine is paying. I'm here doing research, remember?"

And that—the panic that set in at the thought of completing a coherent article by my deadline—is what finally propelled me out of bed.

What about your magazine article? Zachary Taylor's words echoed in my head as my eyes caught sight of the hat bag in the back of the closet.

Feeling a chill creep up my neck, I pulled the terrycloth robe tighter around my waist. But this time, I didn't shrink back and slam the door. Gingerly, I reached for the bag, made my way over to the bed, sat down and took a deep breath. I thought back to my dream and then pulled the hat out of the bag.

Even though my argument with Will filled me with nothing but sadness and regret, at least I'd taken charge of the situation. I'd made a decision. It didn't matter that it might have been the wrong one. At least I'd taken a position.

With this hat, I had to do the same. Either get rid of it or follow Zachary Taylor's orders. Before I could put any more thought into it, I pushed back a few unruly curls and covered them with the hat.

A slight feeling of dizziness and fatigue as I had felt before. Then anxiety, extreme distress mounting from the pit of my stomach. With the hat still on my head, I sank back into the mound of feather pillows.

"I don't think you should go up there!" Zachary pulled wildly at my arm. "Think of what you might see. It wouldn't be wise."

"Leave me alone!" I took the wooden stairs two at a time. "What do I care about being wise?" I had heard the screams, but my heart refused to believe it. How could everything have spun so out of control?

The door to the attic was ajar and clouds of dust choked and blinded me as I stumbled over boxes and old travel cases. I could feel her presence, wilted, lost. And then I saw her. Gone forever as blood leaked from her wrists across the wooden floor. My hat fell to the ground as I leaped forward.

"No, no, no!" I screamed over and over as I threw myself over her lifeless body. My hands clung to her long dark hair, and I buried my brow within the folds of her silky skirt. I looked at the solemn face absent of its usual pink glow and pressed my cheek against hers. Silent tears slipped from my face onto hers. I touched her tiny, pale earlobes, wearing the amethyst earrings I had given her merely a week ago.

"Jonathan, get hold of yourself!" Zachary was there, a shadow behind me. "It's too late. Don't expose yourself to this."

Then his voice blended into what seemed like dozens of others, and my world went dark.

I sat up in a panic, yanked the hat from my head and nearly crushed it against my chest. My whole being was shaking like a leaf. Tears streamed down my cheeks. My throat was so dry I was sure I couldn't utter a word.

Jonathan. It was the hat Jonathan had worn when he discovered Victoria's body. I had seen everything. The amethyst earrings. I touched my ear, which still wore one of them.

I had been in his heart and mind. That was why I felt such sorrow whenever I placed this hat on my head. It was the door to Jonathan's heart. And Zachary Taylor, his best friend, had guided me there.

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote – thank you!