Chapter 10: Emotional Graze

Cyrus POV:

Luckily, I had art last today and somehow TJ had managed to permanently acquire the seat beside me.

'You going to the art club tonight?' I asked him.

He nodded, 'Of course, I'm excited to see the cameras she was talking about, you can still come over though?'

I was about to accept the invitation when I realised, 'Sorry, I can't, I'm...going somewhere,'

I was slightly afraid he was going to enquire where but, of course, he didn't, 'Being secretive are we?' He raised an eyebrow, 'That's ok, how about tomorrow?'

My heart dropped, 'Aren't you coming to the party?'

Realisation washed over his face, 'Oh, yeah I am, you could still sleep over?'

Although my mind was screaming at me with thoughts that reminded me there was no way in hell I'd be able to get away from my 'friends', I accepted, 'Sure, tomorrow,'

I still wasn't sure how I was going to get away from them today for that thing with Amber. I couldn't tell whether I was excited to attend this so called club's meeting or nervous. Maybe it was a little bit of both?

After class, I said goodbye to my cute boyfriend and tried to map out my escape plan. Somehow they always seem to find me. Checking twice before going through doors and looking both ways three times before turning a corner, today, I managed to escape without detection. I was so thankful for that fact that when I walked into The Spoon it completely slipped my mind that that's where they were going to be.

'Cyrus?' Buffy frowned practically as soon as I appeared through the door. Apparently we're pretending that argument didn't happen.

I stopped in my tracks. Busted. 'Uhhh Hey Guys,'

Andi seemed upset, 'Where were you?'

I shrugged, scared I was going to trip over my words, when Amber came over, 'Hey Cyrus! Ready for our chess meeting?'

I went with her lie, 'Yes?'

She took my hand, pulling me towards the door, 'Great, I'm really excited. Bye guys!' She waved towards the GHC who didn't argue about my leave since I was going with Amber, who they approve of. Why do I need their approval?'

When we got outside, I let go of a breath I didn't even know I was holding, 'Thanks Amber, I don't know if they'd have let me go if they knew where we were going,'

'What do you mean?' She lowered her eyebrows in confusion.

I focused on the comforting warmth of her hand, 'They don't like me hanging out with other people,'

Amber didn't press any further as we completed the short walk from The Spoon to this little Café on the corner of the road.

It was a quaint little place that was painted burgundy red on the outside with golden swirly letters spelling out the name of it 'Spill the Beans'. As soon as we got inside, I felt more and more at ease. The wooden decor gave it a rustic, winter vibe despite it being the start of Summer and the waft of coffee made me suddenly crave an caramel ice frappe with extra whipped cream. It wasn't crowded at all with a couple chatting near the window and a young woman sat with a coffee whilst she was on her laptop near the fire place which still had residue of last years ash scattered in the tray.

The only other people were the ones Amber lead me towards who were placed in the corner of the room as far away from the window as possible. I guess it's invitation only. They all said a chorus of hellos to her and I could quickly tell that she was the mother of the group, after all, she was clearly the oldest.