Chapter 26: Let's fall in love for the night

TJ POV:

After grabbing a couple t-shirts and shorts from his wardrobe along with deodorant, his record player, hair brush and other essential dunked in a bag, we climbed into Chris' car and drove off to who knows where at 2 am.

I let him focus on driving so I checked my phone. I had a bunch of notifs from everyone I knew.

reedwt_w: You ok buddy?
reedwt_w: TJ?
reedwt_w: What happened?
reedwt_w: We're worried

lol.lesterB: What's happening?
lol.lesterB: Tell us! We won't judge!
lol.lesterB: Just want to know you're ok

Not able to form an answer, I turned my phone off and put it out of my mind whilst I inhaled slowly in an attempt to calm myself. This was going to be so much fun.

The morning was breaking through the dark blue sky, pink streaks bleeding through, blending the colours beautifully, the glow of the sun casting an orange shade over the world. This would make an amazing picture.

Fuck, I didn't get my camera.

Spotting Chris' Polaroid in the holder, I said quietly, 'Do you mind?'

He glanced down before focusing on the road, shaking his head.

I snapped a few shots, putting them back in the holder with the camera for safe keeping.

I returned to my peaceful state of daydream watching the scenery pass by, I hadn't thought of asking where we were going. I didn't really care as long as I was away from everyone.

Chris drove in complete silence, letting me think. He knows that's what I need. But what he needed was rest.

His eyes started to droop.

'Chris you can't sleep at the wheel!' I tapped his shoulder, 'Pull over,'

'Yeah sorry, I was trying to find a good place,'

He did as I said and once the car stopped, relaxed into his seat. His eyelashes dusted down as he struggled to stay awake.

'How long should we sleep for?' I asked, turning my phone back on, 'I can set an alarm,'

Chris pondered the question for longer than he should have due to the fatigue, '9 am, we have a long drive ahead of us,'

I set the alarm, my eyes dodging texts as quick as they could.

He climbed into the back of the car, pulling the duvet he'd struggled to stuff in there out and putting half over himself, 'Come on then,'

I finished setting the alarm and left it in the holder so if someone stopped they wouldn't see it and joined him in the back under the duvet.

Chris rested his head on my shoulder, his curls tingling my neck, 'I'm so happy,' he whispered.

'Me too,' I replied, 'This is fun,'

'Tomorrow we need to find a gas station to get some food and fill up on diesel before we go on our journey,' Chris slurred with tiredness.

'You gonna say where we're going?'

'It's a surprise,' he trailed off, slipping into unconsciousness.

I kissed his head making him hum, 'Goodnight,'

'Night...paparazzi,'

And with that he fell asleep, our hands connected and heads supporting each other.

****

The beep of my phone forced me to open my eyes as I reached to my side, trying to feel out my bedroom table to get my phone. My eyes fully opened when I realised I was in a car and the memory of everything cane back to me.