Chapter 5 - The breaking point

"Today my forest is dark. The trees are sad and all the butterflies have broken wings."

Alejandro's POV

My eyes widened in shock as I looked at two familiar people who were naked in the bed. As they saw me, they gasped in shock and tried to cover themselves with the cover in panic. I opened and closed my mouth without managing to say anything. Meanwhile, they were saying something in panic, but my mind was fuzzy; I couldn't hear them properly. I pursed my lips together as the wave of nausea flooded over me. I rushed out of the room and placed my hand on the wall for support. I took deep breaths, trying to calm down as I rested my hand on my chest. It felt a kick in the stomach.

I walked downstairs slowly, my mind still fuzzy. I noticed my father coming upstairs. When he saw me, he asked something in worry. I stared at him in daze without saying anything. Suddenly, my father's eyes widened in shock as he looked behind me. I closed my eyes as I clenched my fist.

"Catalina?" My father mumbled in shock as he looked behind me.

I gritted my teeth without looking back and stormed out. I approached my car in quick steps and got in the car. I started the engine and drove away.

I had been driving more than an hour without knowing where to go. My hands tightly wrapped around the steering wheel. I slid down the window as I couldn't breathe anymore. I pulled my car over near the ocean. I opened the door and got out of the car. I walked towards the water, my movements mechanical. I didn't feel well. I barely approached the bench and sat down on it.

My phone rang again. I ignored it again and stared at crashing waves. They looked like my inside. Everything inside me crashed and turned into pieces, leaving just emptiness behind itself.

As much as I tried to forget what I had seen, the scenes from earlier flashed in my mind again and again. My phone rang again, interrupting my thoughts. I ignored it again and ran my hand through my hair angrily.

How could she do it to my father and...us? She ruined our lives. She ruined everything. Everything!

I cursed under my breath and hit my lap in frustration. I leaned my elbows on my thighs and held my head between my hands, looking into space. I took a deep breath and pulled the velvet box out of my pocket. I opened it slowly and looked at the diamond ring as I clenched my fist. I ran my hand through my hair angrily as I closed my eyes shut. I breathed deeply as I stood up and walked towards the water. I took the ring and looked at it with a blank expression. I closed my eyes, breathing deeply and threw the ring and box into the water as I opened my eyes. I pursed my lips together as my eyes welled up.

I sat down on the bench and leaned my elbows on my thighs, lost in my thoughts. Suddenly, my phone rang again. I frowned, annoyed and stared at the waves. My phone was still ringing. As it didn't stop ringing, I cursed under my breath and pulled my phone out of my pocket. It stopped ringing. When I looked at the screen, there were a lot of missing calls from Lucia, Andrea, Cedric and...her, my mother. Suddenly, my phone rang again. It was Cedric. I sighed and picked it up.

"Finally! Why didn't you pick up your phone?" Cedric asked as soon as I picked up my phone.

"I don't want to talk to anyone." I replied, running my hand through my hair. "Why did you keep calling? What do you want?" I snapped, annoyed.

"Your father...." He mumbled.

"What happened to him?" I asked, worried as I stood up instantly.

"He...He had a heart attack. He is in the hospital. His condition is critical." He informed.

"I am coming. Which hospital?" I asked as I rushed towards my car.

I got in my car and started the car quickly. Please, Dad. Please, be strong. I tightened my grip around the steering wheel while driving like hell.

I parked my car in front of the hospital and got out of the car quickly. I rushed into the hospital. I asked the receptionist where my father was and went towards the emergency room in quick steps.

My sister, my mother, Cedric, Andrea and Andrea's mother, Amanda were in the hallway. When my mother saw me, she approached me crying. I clenched my fist as I gritted my teeth and gave her a loathing look. She wanted to hug me, but I pulled back and approached Lucia and Cedric.

"Alejandro." Lucia ran towards me, crying.

I hugged her tightly and stroked her hair gently as my eyes welled up.

"Calm down. He will be fine." I assured her as I cupped her cheeks.

"He will, yes?" She asked, sobbing.

"Of course. Don't worry." I reassured her and hugged her tightly.

"Alejandro, are you fine?" Cedric asked as he placed his hand on my shoulder.

Lucia pulled back slightly and wiped her tears off her cheeks. Andrea approached us, giving me a compassionate look. I cleared my throat and averted my gaze.

"I don't know, Cedric. I don't know." I mumbled.

"Be strong, Alejandro. Your family needs you." Cedric said, squeezing my shoulder.

"I will talk to the doctor." I said and left, passing by Andrea without looking at her.

"Alejandro!" Cedric rushed behind me and stopped me. "The doctor is beside your father. We are waiting for him." He informed.

I nodded and leaned against the wall as I folded my arms over my chest.

A few seconds later, Andrea approached me. Cedric tapped my shoulder and walked away, leaving us alone.

"Are you okay?" She asked, concerned as she placed her hand on my arm.

I sighed as I pulled back and ran my hand through my hair. She gave me a puzzled look.

"Yes." I mumbled without looking at her.

"He will get better. Don't worry." She said softly and stroked my arm.

"I need to check Lucia." I said dryly and went towards Lucia without waiting for her to say anything.

I sat down on the seat beside Lucia and wrapped my arm around her shoulder, pulling her into my chest. She hugged me as she leaned her head against my chest, sobbing.