Chapter 6 - Grief

"Once upon a time I was falling in love. Now I'm only falling apart."

Alejandro's POV

I felt Andrea's gaze on me, but I didn't look at her, still hugging Lucia.

"Did you reach to your father?" I heard Amanda's voice.

"No, his phone is still turned off." Andrea replied.

I gritted my teeth as I looked at Andrea. She was staring at me sadly. I breathed deeply and averted my gaze. Suddenly, a few doctors and nurses rushed into my father's room.

"What happened?" I asked, worried as I walked towards them in quick steps.

"Please, sir. Wait here." The nurse stated and walked into the room, closing the door behind her.

"Damn it!" I punched the wall.

"Alejandro, calm down." Cedric said as he grabbed my arm.

I breathed deeply, trying to calm down and started pacing back and forth.

Suddenly, the door opened and the doctor walked out. We approached him.

"How is my father?" I asked, concerned.

"Is my father okay?" Lucia asked, sobbing.

Andrea wrapped her arm around Lucia's shoulder. Lucia held her hand as she leaned towards her.

"Mr. Fernandez's condition was critical when they brought him here. We did everything to help him, but...we couldn't save him." The doctor replied sadly.

"What..." I mumbled in shock.

"Alejandro!" Cedric exclaimed and caught me as I was about to collapse.

Andrea's POV

After taking a shower, I put on a black midi dress. Today was Diego's funeral. My mother and I were going together. My father was abroad. So he couldn't attend the funeral. We talked to him yesterday, and he told us that he left for Italy urgently. There was some problem in his project.

I covered my mouth with my hand and rushed into the bathroom as the waves of nausea hit me.

After vomiting, I washed my face and brushed my teeth. I placed my hand on my belly and went to my room. I still feel bad.

Suddenly, someone knocked on the door.

"Come in." I said as I ruffled my hair.

The door opened and my mother walked in.

"Are you okay, honey?" She asked, concerned as she approached me.

When I wanted to respond, I felt nauseated again. I covered my mouth with my hand and rushed into the bathroom.

My mother held my hair back, stroking my back while I was vomiting. After throwing up, I washed my face. I grimaced at the bad taste in my mouth.

"Don't go. Stay home. I will call the doctor to check you. I will go alone." She said, concerned and stroked my hair gently.

"No. I want to be beside Alejandro...and Lucia." I stated. She nodded.

As soon as Lucia saw me, she ran towards me, crying. I hugged her back as she hugged me tightly. Meanwhile, Alejandro was looking at me from afar with a stoic expression. After Lucia pulled back, I approached Alejandro.

"How are you? I know it isn't easy, but you should be strong." I said softly as I stroked his arm.

He looked at me with a blank expression without saying anything. He looked so distant towards me like we didn't know each other. I could understand that it wasn't easy for him, but I had a strange feeling in my heart that there was something else.

"I have to check something." He mumbled and left without letting me say anything. I looked behind him, stunned.

"Honey, are you okay? Do you feel better?" My mother asked, concerned as she approached me and placed her hand on my back.

"Umm...Yeah. Don't worry." I mumbled, looking at Alejandro who was talking to Cedric. As our eyes met, he gave me a cold glare.

"Come on." My mother said. I nodded, and we walked towards Catalina and Lucia.

Alejandro was standing beside Lucia while the priest was talking. He wiped the tears off his cheeks with the back of my hand. Seeing him in this state tightened my heart. Suddenly, our eyes met. I gave him a compassionate look. He averted his gaze.

After the funeral, I approached him. I placed my hand on his arm and stroked it gently as I gave him a sad look. He cleared his throat and walked towards Lucia without saying anything.
I looked at him, puzzled. I didn't understand why his attitude changed towards me.

****

It had been a week since the funeral. I had been calling Alejandro, but he didn't pick up my calls. I had sent him messages as well, but he didn't respond.

"Andrea, are you okay?" My mother asked, interrupting my thoughts.

"Umm...Yes." I murmured, giving her a half smile.

"Is your stomach sick again?" She asked, concerned as she sat down beside me on the couch and placed her hand on my thigh.

I bit my lower lip nervously and averted my gaze. "...No...I am fine." I lied.

Suddenly, my phone rang. I sighed and grabbed my phone. As soon as I saw Alejandro's name on the screen, a wide smile appeared on my face.

"Mom, I have to pick up." I said, excited as I stood up and went to my bedroom.

As I closed the door behind me, I picked up the phone.

"Alejandro, why have you not picked up my calls? I was so worried." I stated.

"I was busy." He replied dryly. He sighed and added. "We have to talk."

"Is everything okay?" I asked, worried.

"I will send you the location. Let's meet there in an hour." He said coldly, ignoring my question.

"Ok. Alejandro..." He hung up without letting me finish my sentence.

I pulled my phone away from my ear, dumbfounded.

What is going on? And what does he want to talk about?

I felt so nervous. There was something bad. I felt it. I breathed deeply and started getting ready.

I parked my car as I arrived at the destination. Alejandro hadn't come yet. I opened the door and got out of my car. I needed some fresh air. I felt stressed, and it affected my stomach. I breathed deeply as nausea flooded over me. I approached a bench and sat down on it. I wrapped my arms over my chest as I started to watch the crashing waves.

A few minutes later, Alejandro arrived. He parked his car beside my car and got out of the car. I gave him a slight smile as he approached me with a blank expression on his face. He sat down beside me on the bench and breathed deeply.

"Hi." I mumbled nervously. My voice was barely audible.

"Hi." He said dryly and ran his hand through his hair, looking at the waves.

"How are you?" I asked, concerned and placed my hand on top of his hand.

He sighed as he pulled his hand away. I looked at him, puzzled. He stood up and placed his hand into his pocket.

"It is over." He said dryly with a stoic expression on his face.