The Beautiful Duo

River POV

Last night left me in silence. I couldn't sleep nor eat without thinking of what they said on the news. Mom heard and insisted we stay home because paparazzi took pictures of her at work. What if I can't leave home because of this? Or I can't go out with my friends and Kelly anymore? I was a wreck in bed. I hadn't got up which is so unlike of me. My door knocked. I faced the door while having dried tears. "Come in." I said a little loud. It opened, revealing Raelynn. I sighed. "You don't have to say anything. The news already did it." I said. She sat beside me, rubbing my hair. "I'm so sorry! My friend called me and told me about it because it was online. I'm mad too because now people will talk about it at my school. Nobody have to talk about it in yours." She said. I got up and sat beside her. "Of course. I don't want people to look at me as the actor's daughter. The other baby he got is already doing that. I don't want it. I just want to be River to everybody, even Kelly. She doesn't know and she'll be angry." I said. She rubbed my shoulder for comfort. Tears reformed in my eyes. "Wait, you told her about him?" She asked. I slowly nodded. She hugged me. I hugged back. "Kelly is somebody I can tell anything to. It made me comfortable to tell her. Not that he's Paul Walker, my father though." I said. Raelynn sighed. "About the girl, it's not her fault Riv." She said. My jaw dropped. I'm sorry, what? "What?" I said. She nodded in disagreement. "It's not her fault. She's not the reason we broke away from dad, ok? I know he's been in her life than ours but mom and dad split after we were born. She didn't cause that." She told me. I got up from the bed angrily. "That's not true! He's not dating her mom and yet he sees her more than us. You know when mom called our family on his side? To ask where he is? They told her she's with him in their house. They're living together and are so damn happy. Why she get to have a dad and we don't?! That's so stupid! I'm always the lonely kid in the class who doesn't celebrate Father's Day while other kids do. Tell mom not to bring me if we're having family get-togethers." I growled. She was indeed in shock over all I said. I made a beeline to the bathroom and slammed it shut. My phone buzzed. CJ was calling. I laid against the door, sliding down to my knees. I answered. "Hello?" I said. "Hey, River. I heard what happened. I'm truly sorry." She said. I sighed. "Don't be. My life will pretty much be over once Kelly finds out." I told her. "What? Kelly won't be angry." She said. I groaned. "Yes she will because I wanted to keep my own dad's fame out of my life. I didn't want her to be starstruck or use me to meet him. Besides, I don't even care about Meadow." I said. "That's a little harsh considering she's also your sister. River, Kelly loves you more than anything. I could tell. She told me she felt like she had to be perfect till you came along. She can be herself around you and so can you. Kelly won't have a care in the world about this because she cares about you. So please...don't make a big deal." She said. I rolled my eyes. "Everyone in the media and public is probably making a big deal." I said. She scoffed. "Well, fuck them. Are you gonna be in music class tomorrow?" She said. I nodded. "Yeah, why?" I said. "I need a partner to sing Ariana while I rap." She said. I slightly chuckled. "Sorry, C. I'm going solo. That's why Kelly visiting is a big surprise." I said. She chuckled. "Alright, I'll ask Leila. Bye!" She said. I smiled. "Bye!" I said and hung up. I took a deep breath. I didn't mean to be rash to Bredia. I was only angry. I opened the door and walked in my room. She looked up from her fingers. I did nothing but hug her. She hugged back tightly. "Sorry." I whispered. She smiled. "It's ok." She said.

*****

Kelly was coming around 1 so I pulled out my acoustic guitar and mic stand. I borrowed Bredia's camera to film myself. I waited on Kelly's arrival and strummed a couple of strings. I smiled and began to sing Cascada. "Every time we touch, I get this feeling and every time kiss, I swear I can fly. Can't you feel my heart beat fast? I want this to last, want you by my side. I still hear your voice inside my head—I was cut off by Kelly smiling and waving on my window. I laughed and opened the window, helping her climb in. Her jaw dropped. "I saw you! You never told me you sing and probably so well." She said. I chuckled. "I wanted this to be a surprise for you." I said. She smirked. "You're full of surprises." She said, sitting on my bed. I rewrapped my guitar strap around me. "Are you working on a song?" She asked. I sighed. "Honestly, I haven't thought of what to sing." I said. She smiled shyly. "I written a song. Tell me if you like it!" She said. She handed me a piece of paper. I read the title written 'Closer To Me' and skimmed through the lyrics. They're so good. I smiled in fascination. "I didn't know you're a good songwriter." I said. She shrugged. "Haven't done it much but when I'm in music class, I get to belt out the lyrics." She said. My brain clicked. I smirked. "I know just what it needs." I said, snapping my fingers. She giggled. "What?" She asked.

~ a while later ~

Kelly POV

I smiled with my hands in position on the chair. The mic stand was in the middle while we sat on two chairs. River's idea was we do the song together. Our voices in sync. The camera was ready till she start the recording. I was filled with excitement and energy. I never did a song with my girlfriend so I'm extremely happy. "This is so cool! Lets begin!" I said, giving her a quick kiss. She laughed and turned on the recording. She returned back to her seat. We shared nods and River began strumming.

Kelly: too many memories and phone calls

Too many pictures of you on the walls

And not enough of you in my arms

River&Kelly: (Whoa)

River: I count the seconds with my heart beat

I close my eyes and see you here with me

I feel the miles standing in between

I'm still alone

River&Kelly: and days go by

Are we getting closer to a better life?

I can't say I love you through a million walls so

Tell me when will you be

Closer to me, closer to me

River: do you miss me like I miss you?

Or see my face in everything you do

I dream about you in the light of day

I'm not ok

River&Kelly: and days go by

Are we getting closer to a better life?

I can't say I love you through a million walls so

Tell me when will you be

Closer to me

River&Kelly: all I know is that I want you here

And when you're gone, I disappear

All I know is every time you leave

You take the biggest part of me,

With you

Kelly: days go by

Are we getting closer to a better life?

I can't say I love you through a million walls so

Tell me when you will be

River&Kelly: Closer

River&Kelly: and days go by

Are we getting closer to a better life?

I can't say I love you through a million walls so

Tell me when will you be

Closer to me

Closer to me

Closer to me

River: closer to me

The whole time we locked eyes, smiling while our voices were in sync. I loved every minute. She was like a beautiful songbird from the ocean. She was named after the ocean which makes it cute. River smiled and ended the recording. I inhaled a shock breath. "That was- she cut me off. "Amazing?" She guessed. I giggled. "Yeah." I said. We both chuckled. She went on the laptop and webmailed our music teacher and uploaded the video. I smiled. "Can't wait till she shows the video to everyone." I said. River nodded. "I know! CJ will brag so much about it." She said, joking at the last part. I laughed. "Hey, did you saw what happened on the news?" I asked. Somehow she froze when I mentioned it. "Yeah. I did." She said. "There's two girls who are Paul Walker's daughters. That's pretty cool! I mean...surprisingly, she has the same name as Raelynn and- she cut me off. "Kelly, I have something to tell you." She said. I sighed sadly. "Yes. Are you both those girls?" I asked. Moments of silence were between us.