√ || inosuke • behind or beyond

inosuke x reader
anime | kimetsu no yaiba

   INOSUKE WAS THE kind of guy that you'd have to constantly remind of what not to do, or else things would be completely chaotic. You often reprimand him from running around and stepping on kids, scaring them badly. There was even a time when the village people chased them outside, causing the mission some delay. Oh, if only they knew how much trouble all of them were in for that night. It was quite unforgettable.

Today, she was given another mission with the boy. She and him stormed off in as early as seven in the morning, even though (Y/N) was completely against it.

Inosuke stretched his arms up, groaning loudly in the process. (Y/N) could hear a few of his bones crack the farther he reached up. "Why the fuck are we even traveling this early?" He asked in his usual, bossy tone.

"It's far from here." She says, heaving out a heavy sigh afterwards. She were practically dragging her feet off the ground with the weight she felt in her body. It's been only a day since their last mission! There were so many corps lazing around, waiting for something to be assigned for them. A short break wouldn't hurt, right?

The masked lad placed both hands on his hips and puffed out his chest with much pride. His iconic pose. He had his chin up, since the boar's face was looking towards the far horizon you two were yet to cross, inhaling the smell of the musty morning. "Oi," he called.

"What." The girl replied flatly, not even giving him so much as a side glance. "Have another complaint this early in the morning?"

"Want me to carry you?"

This caught (Y/N) off guard for a moment. She looked at him with a slight frown on her forehead, a sea of creases forming. "Is that a joke?" She asks.

No." He replied.

"Then thanks, but no thanks," she began to walk along the dirt path, leaving Inosuke behind. Her sheathed katana swayed by her hips back and forth as she took each step, creating some sort of rhythm her mind began to dance along with.

From the boy's perspective, watching a girl's behind as she walked was quite amusing. It seems perverted and unlikely of him, but damn, at that moment, he appreciated the natural appeal of a lady—one that considered him at least as a mission partner. He'd rather not talk to females for the duration of his whole life, given him and his history with the women he became associated with back then, but right now, he was quite happy to see such a sight.

He began to walk, too, catching up to the girl's pace in a matter of seconds.

***

"Inosuke," (Y/N) called, looking up at the masked boy at the sides of her eyes. "Can you take off that mask?"

"Like hell I will."

She frowned. "Why? You afraid I'm gonna call you ugly or something?"

He never replied to the girl's questions and presses, and it didn't take long before she finally dropped the topic. Their journey together consisted of senseless prattle and arguments with heated insults—a normal thing to consider between the two of them at this point in the time of their acquaintanceship.

(Y/N) crossed her arms. "You are such a mean, stinky, and ugly boar."

"Heh?!" The boy yelled, "well yer such a prissy, weak girly! Ya can't even do missions without me, squirt."

"Says the guy who nearly got roasted on a spit last time!" (Y/N) shot back, visibly furious. This went on for minutes. To anyone, they looked like big ball of fury and hatred, shedding all these disruptive noise around the area. After passing through a few villages and hearing people yell at them to keep it down, the two stopped in their tracks after sensing something a painfully menacing presence. Chills run down their waists at the heavy aura a forest emitted. It was enough for the both of them to stop fighting altogether, for this was not a joke anymore.

"You... you sense that?" Inosuke quietly said, as still as a rock. (Y/N) could see the hairs on his arms standing perfectly straight in broad daylight.

She gulped hard, and felt cold sweat trickle down the sides of her face, and vanished into the cloths of her uniform. All that was left was a dark patch of where it was. "Y-Yeah."

"Calling on Kanoe Hashibira Inosuke and Kanoe (L/N) (Y/N) to immediately report to battle!" A crow flying up high in the sky shrieked, circling around a particular area deep within the trees.

The two looked at each other at the mention of their names. They've heard it millions of times in their lives in different voices and in different tones, but it was only then when it felt so... frightening to hear. It's almost as if a tidal wave of dread swept them off their feet and voyaged someplace far from the shores of where they used to be. Brave.

"Calling on Kanoe Hashibira Inosuke and Kanoe (L/N) (Y/N) to immediately report to battle!" The crow shrieked again, sounding more urgent this time.

"Inosuke, we have to go."

"No," he replied, unsheathing his pair of jagged katanas. "We're going straight into that fiasco, and we're gonna fight whether you like it or not."

The girl took a small step backwards, in fear of what she felt. The presence of whatever was in there was terrifying. (Y/N) felt sick to her stomach, threatening to gag out her breakfast onto the ground. She could lag behind with the other corps. She could lose her sword. She could die there, and no one would be there to save her in time.

The boar grabbed her wrist firmly. "Don't be a coward."

She frowned, trying to yank her arm from his grip. Her eyes didn't leave the sight of the trees for a single second. "Get off me,"

"I don't want to die."

"You won't. Now stop being a pussy and let's go."

"How are you so sure that I won't die?"

Maybe it was because he had grown to like (Y/N) as her mission partner that he felt the need to say it. Although it wasn't his type of thing, there was a part of him wanting to touch her dainty, yet calloused hands and squeeze it; let her feel the adrenaline he felt surging through him at the moment, in hopes to at least spark a little bit of bravery back in her system. But of course he didn't do it—now was not the right time.

"Because we're friends. Hell, I don't know if it's behind or beyond that. I don't care. Just trust me, alright? I won't let you die."

(Y/N) leaned towards his face. "Is that a promise?" She asked with worried eyes.

He nodded. "It's a promise."

[ a/n ; spontaneously written. ]