Chapter 3

As Sophie walked to telepathy the next day, she was surprised to see Fitz waiting for her in the hallway. He usually waited in the classroom, but she guessed that know that they were dating, things would be different. 

"Hey, Beautiful," he greeted her. 

Sophie blushed, again feeling self-conscious of her outfit. Today she wore a light brown dress with flowers that flowed to the ground and fanned out when she twirled, not like she would twirl much because she was so clumsy. Sophie especially loved it because it reminded her of Calla, a gnome who'd sacrificed herself to save the entire gnome species. Fitz grabbed Sophie's hand, and Sophie tangled their fingers together as they walked to telepathy.  When they entered the room, Tiergan wasn't there, but there was a small, hastily scribbled note on his desk. I'm on an errand, be back soon. Fitz shrugged, but Sophie rose out of her chair, and settled in next to Fitz.

"You looked lonely over here. I figured you could use a friend," she joked, leaning on him.

"Good thinking," he laughed.

"Um, guys?" someone asked from the open doorway. Sophie and Fitz both stood up, blushing, and turned to see Keefe. "Magnate Leto wants you guys in his office, but I'm sure he would understand if you're too busy." Keefe glared at their twined hands. Sophie tried to pull away, but Fitz held on tightly, and she soon relaxed.

"Keefe..." Sophie started.

"Stop it, Foster. It's ok, I'm not mad. I'm actually very happy for you guys." It would have been convincing, if his teeth weren't clenched and his hands weren't fisted at his sides. "Let's just go to Magnate Leto's office."

Well that was awkward, Fitz transmitted as he and Sophie followed Keefe to the top of the glass pyramid.

Yeah, Sophie replied. I guess Biana didn't tell anyone. I just hope that Keefe's not too mad.

Fitz sensed her worry and squeezed her hand. He can't be mad at you Sophie. I promise he won't hold a grudge. It might just take a while for him to get used to us. 

Us. That was the word that changed everything. They were together now. Keefe would just have to accept that. 

Sophie sighed. Just before Keefe opened the door, Fitz gave her hand a final squeeze and let go. Her hand immediately felt lonely, but she knew that she would have to wait until everyone found out about her and Fitz

As they entered the bright room, Sophie instantly knew that something was wrong. She looked back as Dex, Biana, Marella, Tam, and Linh entered right after them. "You kids are all probably wondering why I have called you up here." The group nodded. "Granite, Blur, Wraith, and Tinker have all been kidnapped by the Neverseen." Dex's eyes filled with tears at the mention of Tinker, but Linh reached for Dex's hand, and Sophie met Fitz eye. This was new. "You are all dismissed."

"What?!" Biana screeched, beating everyone else to it. "So you're just going to tell us that, and then expect us to sit around?"

"No. I am thinking of a plan as we speak. I will contact you when it's ready. For now, I want you to focus on your normal teenage lives," he first glanced at Linh and Dex, and then his eyes moved to Sophie. She instantly realized that she had moved a lot closer to Fitz than needed. She blushed and moved away, but Fitz caught her arm and pulled her back to his side. 

With one arm around her waist, Fitz declared, "Sophie and I are dating now." 

Everyone gasped and said, "I'm so happy for you two," except for Keefe, who was standing by the door looking at the ground. While everyone was congratulating them, Sophie noticed Tam shooting longing looks at Biana, and Sophie's eyebrows rose. It seemed like everyone in the group was pairing up.

"Well, if you want us to be normal teenagers, then... SLEEPOVER AT EVERGLEN TONIGHT!" Biana shouted. 

"Yes, you kids can discuss your lives at Everglen, not in my office," Magnate Lete replied, and everyone cracked up.