Chapter 14

"Adventurous?" Sophie asked, raising her eyebrows.

Fitz blushed. "Come on, we're on the other side now," he said, ignoring her question. He tugged her to a bench that was overlooking a lake that was the same shade of blue as a diamond, and it sparkled in the light. He gently led her to the side of the lake, next to a bench, but didn't sit down.

"Fitz?" Sophie said. "What are we doing here?"

"I wanted to, um, ask you a question."

"Ok," she replied, curious of the what he would ask her.

"How would you feel if I were to kiss you right now?"

Sophie blushed and smiled shyly. "Like the luckiest person alive," she answered. He was going to kiss her! Sophie thought. And it would be better than the first time. 

Fitz leaned forward and pressed his lips against hers. She kissed back wrapping her arms around his waist. He tangled one hand in her hair, and the other was around her neck. The kiss was gentle, like their first one, but Sophie decided that she didn't like that. She stepped closer and pressed harder, deepening the kiss. She felt Fitz smile, and she moved one of her hands up his side, before resting it on his shoulder. They kissed for a long time, only breaking for short gasps of air, and when they finally pulled apart, the sun was beginning to set. For some reason, even though Sophie loved Fitz, she felt like there was something missing. Something that she needed more than Fitz.  Sophie decided to ignore that feeling and spend more time with her boyfriend instead.

Fitz led Sophie to the bench, and they snuggled closely. "I like adventurous," Sophie said, breaking the silence.

"We should do it more often," Fitz agreed. He kissed her again, and she melted into his embrace. They broke apart, and Sophie leaned on Fitz. He put his arm around her and pulled her closer to him. 

All of a sudden, Sophie heard voices. She sat up quickly, and saw hurt in Fitz eyes. "Sorry, Fitz. I thought that I heard voices," she told him.

Fitz listened closely and nodded. "Yeah, I hear them, too." He looked up at the sky, noticing the bright colors of sunset for the first time, and blushed. "We've been here for a long time. Let's just pretend that we were talking, ok?" 

As Sophie was agreeing, they heard Sandor. "It smells like they're in here." Sandor pushed open the gate, and Della, Alden, Grady, and Edaline were with him. Della and Edaline had sappy smiles on their faces, Alden looked pleased, and Grady looked annoyed.

"This was where our first date was, too," Della said, smiling.

"We weren't on a date," Fitz said. "We were just talking."

"Ok, well, whatever you were doing is over now because it's time for dinner. We were looking all over for you. If it weren't for Sandor, we never would've found you two," Grady lectured.

"Dinner can wait... if they have anything more important to do," Della said, wiggling her eyebrows.

"We were actually just about to leave, MOM," Fitz declared, helping Sophie to her feet and glaring at his mother. "Dinner sounds good." If anyone noticed that Sophie and Fitz held hands on the way back to Everglen, they decided not to notice. Before they got inside, they broke apart, just in case anyone got suspicious of what they were doing outside.

Once they got inside, everyone sat down at the table. The table had a plain white cloth on it with tassels at the end of each corner. It was simple but elegant, and Sophie loved it. They had a dinner of umber leaves and brattails. They were delicious, and reminded Sophie of her first night in the Lost Cities. Back then, she'd been dreaming about Fitz, and now, she was his girlfriend. Even though they'd been together for a while, it still felt like a dream. After everyone was done eating, all of the adults went to the living room.

"Let's play Truth or Dare!" Biana exclaimed. Everyone agreed immediately, except for Sophie and Fitz. 

You want to do this?  Fitz asked. If not, we could just go up to my room.

It's fine. Sophie replied, even though she would've like to spend some more time with Fitz. I think that we need to spend some more time with our friends. We've kinda been ignoring them all day.

"If you two have anymore secret conversations, I'm gonna assume that you're flirting," Keefe declared.

"Well maybe we are flirting," Sophie replied. Fitz grinned and reached for her hand under the table. "But we're good with truth or dare."

"I want to go first," Dex said. "Fitz, truth or dare?"

"Dare," he answered.

"Ok. I dare you to carry Sophie everywhere she has to go tonight." 

"Ok," Fitz replied, smiling at Sophie. "Biana, truth or dare?"

"Truth."

"How many times have you kissed Tam?'

"Um," she answered, counting on her fingers. "13 times."

Everyone gasped. Biana pretended to ignore them as she asked, "Ok, Sophie. Truth or dare?"

"Truth," she answered. By the gleam in Biana's eye, Sophie knew she'd made the wrong choice.

Sorry, that was a really bad place to end a chapter, I just figured that it was getting pretty long. -Karissa