Chapter 13

Hey guys! Sorry I haven't written anything in a while. I've been kinda busy with school and whatever. When you read this, it will make more sense if you reread the whole thing because I edited some of the other chapters to make this work.

"So," Sophie said as she walked out of Everglen's front door and onto it's looming porch. "Anything in specific you wanted to do?"

"Well," Fitz replied. "I wanted to show you something. Also, I brought you a present."

Sophie blushed. "Thanks," she said. He handed her the gift. It was wrapped in a sparkly white paper, and tied with a silver and teal striped ribbon. "I think that the wrapping job and the use of paper is a good enough present," Sophie joked.

Fitz laughed. "If that's all you want, then suit yourself, but I think that you'll find that the gift inside is even better." 

"Ok," Sophie replied, trying not to tear the paper as she unwrapped the gift, but as soon as she realized what the it was, she started shredding the paper away from the present to get to it. Once she got all of the paper off, she gasped. "Oh, Fitz," she started, until she burst out laughing. "Wait, that's just a box. I just realized that both times, I've been so amazed with the wrapping, that I haven't bothered to even look at the gift." Sophie glanced down again, and took in the beautiful shimmering jewelry box that seem to sparkle in every color of the spectrum. She gingerly opened the glittering box, and her heart skipped a couple of beats. Inside the box was a bracelet that looked like it was made from the stars that you seen at midnight, when everything else around you is pitch black. It was a shining white, but it was easy to look at, and everytime she did at it, she felt calm and peaceful.

"Do you like it?" Fitz asked nervously. Words couldn't describe how much Sophie loved it, so she pulled Fitz close and hugged him as tightly as she could. He hugged back immediately, and gently ran his hand up and down her back.

"I love it," Sophie whispered.

Fitz put his mouth close to her ear, and as he whispered, his breath tickled her ear. "I hoped you would." Then he leaned back, grabbed her left hand, and gently led them to the wide path that traced Everglen. "It took me forever to find enough callberries," he continued. "Then, I had to string them, and dust them with the splarkmer powder and wait for it to dry and..."

Sophie cut him off. "Hold up," she said. "You made this?" 

"Well, yeah," he replied sheepishly.

"This is so AMAZING! I love it sooooo much! It's perfect! I never would have guessed that you made it. Not in a million years. And," she added, willing her cheeks not to heat up, but of course they didn't listen. "This makes me love you, even more. I mean, you were willing to make this for me, after what seems like an agonizingly long process, and then you had to do that shimmer-sparkle powder thingy, and now I'm just rambling, and so I'm going to stop because that was probably just a really long run-on sentence, even though I have no idea why I'm thinking about grammar right now, so..." 

Fitz grinned. "I love you, too. Now, let's save the Fitzphie stuff for whenever we get to the place where I'm showing you, alright?" That shut Sophie up, and she quickened her pace, dragging Fitz, even though she had no idea where they were going. That seemed to be evident when Fitz said, "We were supposed to turn left right there," he gestured a few feet behind them.

Sophie blushed, again. "Oh, right."

"I dunno," Fitz teased. "Our parents might be getting worried. Maybe we should go back and tell them where we are?"

"No!" Sophie exclaimed, a little louder, and faster, then she'd wanted it. "I mean, if we go back, then they might send Sandor, and then we'd have no privacy to... I mean, they might tell us to stay, and then we couldn't..."

Fitz cut her off. "I'm kidding," he laughed. "I know you want to spend time alone with me, and to be honest, I'm really looking forward to spending some more time with you, in a more private place. Ah, here we are," he said, stopping at a tall, black, spindly gate that reached up way over Sophie's head. The bars were shiny, as if they had just been polished, and Sophie could see that it was a garden. The only problem was that the door was locked. She gasped as she felt her feet start rising, until she realized that it was Fitz, levitating both of them up, over the fence.

She realized that if they had to levitate over the fence, then the garden must be forbidden, but Fitz must've noticed the look on her face, and said, "Don't worry. We could've just gone through the gate, I have a key, but I wanted to be a little more adventurous..."