Chapter 5

15 reads! Thank you so much! This is incredible! Hope you enjoy this chapter! 

Sophie's late, Fitz thought as he looked around at everyone else having a good time. Where is she?

Fitz decided to go up to his room to see if she was hiding in there. He didn't know why she would be, but maybe she wanted to surprise him. "Be right back!" He hollered to the others. They ignored him. Dex and Linh were snuggled together on the ruby colored loveseat talking, and Biana and Tam were playing Ninja, a human game that Sophie had taught them when she first moved to the lost cities. Fitz had spent enough time with his sister since then to know that Tam didn't have a chance. Biana was unbeatable. Keefe was sitting in a corner reading a book, probably filled with pranks or something. Fitz felt a pang of guilt seeing Keefe, but knew that if he really wanted Sophie, Keefe should have asked her before he did.

When Fitz got to his room, he saw an envelope on his bed. It said Fitz on the top in a rough font. It looked like it had been hastily scribbled, not at all like Sophie's loopy letters. He opened it and read carefully. Dear Fitz, If you are reading this, then you must be looking for Sophie. Don't fear, she is with us, and will not be harmed... as long as she cooperates. There is one way that you can get her back, but you mustn't tell anyone, except the Sencen boy. If you truly love Sophie Foster, then meet us by yourselves under the Panakes Tree at midnight. Sincerely, Gethen. Fitz fell over onto his bed, hot tears cascading down his cheeks. Once he composed himself, he resolved to go downstairs and have a good time, until midnight.

Once he got downstairs, Biana asked, "Where's Sophie?"

"She just hailed me and said that she couldn't make it, but to have a nice time without her," Fitz lied.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she responded before scooting closer to Tam. Tam wrapped an arm around her shoulder and squeezed her shoulders before standing.

"I have an announcement to make." Once he was sure he had everyone's attention, he cleared his throat. "Biana Vacker, please come up here." Biana blushed, but did as she was told. "Ever since we met, I have liked you. I love your confidence, independence, and ability to stand up for yourself. Biana, will you be my girlfriend?"

Biana gasped. "Yes!" she squealed as she threw herself into his arms. Tam lifted her chin up and kissed her, a full open-mouth kiss, and after a while, Fitz had to turn away because it reminded him too much of what he wanted to do with Sophie. After their lengthy kiss was over, they headed outside, hand in hand, to talk. At least that's what they claimed, but Fitz figured that it was just their excuse to kiss more. Linh was staring at them with wide-eyes, amazed that "Emo Tam" would do something like that.

Then, Dex spoke up. "Um, by the way, even though Tam, Biana, and Sophie aren't here, I just wanted to tell you guys that Linh and I are kind of together." Fitz congratulated them, and then looked around for Keefe, finally seeing him flee up the soft carpeted stairs. Fitz ran after him and caught up.

"Keefe?" Keefe turned around and Fitz saw his bloodshot eyes. "I'm sorry to do this to you, but I found this. Sophie never actually hailed me." 

Keefe read it, and his voice cracked. "We need to help her," he cried.

"And we will," Fitz reassured him. "Also, I'm really sorry about me and Sophie, but I- I love her."

"I know. It's just hard, watching your crush choose your best friend, and Sophie would've talked to me tonight..." his voice died off. "But I'm trying hard to be strong, and I know that there will be someone else for me. It's just, now that everyone in our group has paired up, who am I left with?"

"Marella?" Fitz jokingly suggested. But Keefe's eyes lit up. 

"You're right, Wonderboy," Fitz rolled his eyes. "She's always been interesting, even though she likes you. I think that I will ask her, even though she's not half as good as Sophie." Fitz grimaced. "I'm sorry, I'll try to stop sounding so wishful when I talk about her, but that glare you gave me was pretty impressive. Can I have lessons?"

"Look at other people when you make a joke." Keefe rolled his eyes. "But... wow Keefe. The Marella thing was meant as a joke, but good luck!"

Please comment below if you ship Keefe and Marella, or someone else who is NOT in a relationship already. Hope y'all like it so far! Also, I realized too late that I should've done Wylinh, sorry shippers! -Karissa