Chapter 19

When Sophie opened the door, she gasped. All of the Black Swan members that had been kidnapped were tied up and gagged on the floor. Sophie and Keefe raced over to untie them, and realized that they were unconscious. Deciding not to risk anything, they pushed their concentrations around the hostages and leapt to Everglen.

Once they landed, everyone rushed over to help. Elwin was there, and he lugged the captives inside with the help of Fitz and Dex. Sophie and Keefe collapsed from the mental strain, and when Sophie woke up, she was lying next to Keefe on a couch. Sophie quickly backed away, wondering how she had gotten so close... and if Fitz had seen. Secretly, she missed Keefe's warmth, but she wouldn't let herself admit it. When Sophie stood up, all the blood rushed to her head, but before she could call, a familiar set of arms caught her.

"Glad to see you're feeling better, Sophie," Elwin told her.

"What happened?" Sophie asked.

"You and Keefe just needed a little Fade Fuel. Other than that, you're perfectly fine."

"That's a surprise. Foster's always hurt. Are you sure there's nothing else?" Keefe asked from his spot on the couch.

"I triple-checked, but I need to try one more thing, just to make sure..." Elwin pushed her onto another couch and started tickling her. Soon after, Keefe joined in.

"Eek! I'm... fine... eek! STOP!" Eventually Keefe and Elwin stopped, after Sophie decided to use telekinesis to whack them with pillows.

Suddenly, Biana burst into the room. "You guys can stay for another night!" she shrieked. "And now we're all playing truth or dare. Hurry up!"

"Wouldn't want to keep you all from your fun. See you later!" Elwin called as he shimmered away. Keefe and Sophie went into the living room, where everyone, including Marella, was sitting in a circle. 

"Keefe, truth or dare?" Tam asked.

"Dare," Keefe answered hesitantly.

"Ok, I dare you to say one nice thing about me."

"Um, I like your hair." Everyone gasped. "What? I do!"

After a few more rounds, in which Biana had spiky blond hair, Tam had a full face of make-up, and Sophie was soaking wet, it was Marella's turn. She had an evil grin on her face as she said, "Fitz, truth or dare"

"Dare," he answered confidently, smiling at Marella.

"I dare you to kiss your crush, right now." Sophie blushed, but was surprised when Fitz didn't walk towards her. Instead, he walked over to Marella and gently kissed her mouth. Sophie felt her eyes fill with tears, and she ran out of the room.