Chapter 20

Sophie rushed to Biana's room and flung herself on the bed. She grabbed a pillow and buried her face in it, tears spilling out. In the background, she could hear muffled voices accusing Fitz. Sophie heard footsteps, and a minute later, the bed groaned with the weight of another person. Sophie wearily looked up to see who it was, and was surprised to see Keefe on the bed. He didn't say anything, just held out his arms. Sophie gratefully crawled into them, and he sat, holding her sobbing figure for awhile.

"Why did he do that?" Sophie asked, weakly.

"Because he's a jerk," Keefe responded.

"But he's your best friend."

"Not anymore. Anyone who cheats on someone, especially you, is not my friend."

"Why especially me?"

"Because you deserve the best, Soph. He knew that, but he betrayed you. You two were perfect for each other, at least, that's what it looked like. I could tell that he made you feel special, so I have no idea why he stooped that low."

"Why do I deserve the best? I'm just some outsider. A brown eyed elf who everybody hates."

"Why would you say that?!" Sophie looked away. "Look at me," Keefe said, lifting her chin to face him. "You are beautiful, smart, talented, powerful, amazing, incredible, I could go on all day! I mean, you have saved the Lost Cities multiple times, and you're still alive."

Sophie blushed. "Thank you, Keefe. I really needed to hear that." Sophie hugged him tightly, and stayed like that for a little bit longer than she should have. When she pulled away, they were both blushing, but they smiled at each other as Keefe left the room.

"See you later, Foster," Keefe said as he walked out of the room.

"Bye, Keefe," Sophie whispered once he left.

After about 30 minutes, Sophie decided to head downstairs. When she got to the living room, Marella and Fitz were gone. Everyone was talking in hushed whispers, but when they saw Sophie standing in the doorway, they stopped. Biana was the first to break the silence.

"If it makes you feel any better, we have agreed to not talk to my brother anymore."

"Yeah, not really, but thanks anyway. Where are they?" Sophie replied, gesturing to the empty space where Marella and Fitz were.

"Oh, um, they wanted to get some fresh air or something..." Biana said, trailing off. Sophie gave her a pointed look. "Ok, ok! They went on a date." Sophie felt her eyes start to fill up with tears, until she felt someone put an arm around her. It was Keefe. He gently led her over to the couch, and she leaned her head on his shoulder.

"Awww," Linh said, immediately covering her mouth. Sophie gave her a questioning look. "You two are so cute together. I totally ship it!" Sophie blushed and quickly sat upright, but Keefe kept his arm around her.

"Or maybe I'm just being a good friend. None of you guys even realized that she was upstairs because you were too busy yelling at Fitz." Sophie flinched at the use of his name.

A chorus of sorries echoed around the room. "It's fine," Sophie replied, cautiously leaning on Keefe again.

"Do you guys want to do something?" Dex asked.

"Sure, what?" Biana responded.

"We can watch a human movie. I can set it up," Dex suggested.

Sophie smiled. "That would be awesome. Thank you, Dex."

I'm actually so so so so so so so so so SORRY! I just had to change it to Sokeefe. It just makes so much more sense. Please don't be mad. I'm really sorry. -Karissa