Chapter 17

Sophie blushed and asked, "Do you want me to tell you what kissing you feels like?"

"Yes."

"It feels like hope because I know know that you will always be there. It feels like you're the only thing keeping me alive. It feels like one of those roller coasters where you're at the top, and then you tip and go down really fast, and it makes you feel the best feeling, when you're excited and nervous, and don't know what's coming next. And if that's what true love feels like, then I'm keeping you. Forever."

Fitz leaned forward and whispered, "Well I don't want to keep you from feeling the best feeling." His breath tickled her ear, and she grinned. He pressed his lips to hers and kissed her softly, without any of the intensity of the garden. 

"Am I intruding on something?" Dex asked, poking his head through the door.

Sophie and Fitz jumped apart. "No, not at all," Sophie stammered.

"Sure.... Anyway, I was sent up to get you because Forkle has some info about the missing Black Swan members."

Sophie leapt out of bed. "We'll be right there!" she exclaimed. Dex left and Sophie turned back to Fitz. "Come on, let's go downstairs," she said, grabbing his hand. For some reason, Fitz flinched when she grabbed his hand, and didn't return her smile. As they walked out of the room, Fitz let go of her hand, mumbling about needing two hands for pizza or something. Sophie shrugged, but in the back of her mind, she was very hurt. Once she got to the last few steps, she tripped, obviously, and went flying to the ground.

Before she hit the floor though, Sophie felt a pair of strong arms catch her. Unfortunately, she had too much momentum, and she felt herself and her rescuer fall to the ground. Sophie looked up, and realized that her savior was Keefe, and that she was laying on top of him. She quickly got up, blushing furiously. "Mr. Forkle, you have news for us, right?" Sophie questioned the amused old man standing in the middle of Everglen's living room.

"Yes. We have found where they are keeping everyone. There is one condition though: Only two of you will be allowed to go."

Everyone instantly broke into an argument of who should go with Sophie. Surprisingly, Fitz didn't even volunteer. In the end, they decided that Sophie and Keefe should go because Keefe could keep her emotions steady if anything ever got to be too much for her. "You two will leave in two hours. We are counting on you to succeed. Stay here for instructions... you kids will need them."