Chapter 12

Regular P.O.V.

You stare at ved with no emotions. No regret, no grief, no sorrow. You lower the bow to your side and step into the clearing, walking to veds side. He was sprawled over the short grass, his eyes staring unseeingly at the gray sky. You stand trying to grunge up any emotion you could at the sight of him, but nothing happens. Not even happiness at his death, you just killed your colleague... so you should feel something right?. You look up and make your way over to the stunned boys who said nothing as you started cutting the ropes from their wrists and ankles.

Jay snaps out of the daze first.

“you- … You just killed ved!” he accuses. You look at him blankly and cut his ankles free before shoving him away. You move onto cam who just stares in disbelief. You can hear people behind you and jay says something to the soldiers. You pay no attention to them and finish freeing the others. When the last rope falls to the ground you stand up only to turn around to see a sword in your face, the sharp tip shimmering in the dull light.

“come with us” the guy snarls at you, the sword not faltering as he held it to your face.

“pleasant” you say, completely emotionless. Blake, who was standing behind the guy was frowning. The guy moves his hand to his pocket where he produces a rope before making a grab for your wrist.

“don’t touch me” you warn, your voice turning low and dangerous, narrowing your eyes at the short man. He hesitates before trying again. You had warned him not to touch you but he tried anyway.

Your fingers dig into his wrist and you pulled him forward, nails splitting skin as he fell forward, the sword cluttering to the ground to his surprise. You stick a foot out and he shouts out as he hits the ground. You quickly pounce on him, quickly pinning his arm behind his back, your nails gripping the skin hard, blood painting the tips.

“don’t-touch-me” you growl in his ear. After a few seconds of holding his arms in a painful position you release him.

“I will go, but don’t try to restrain me” you say facing the others again, ignoring the looks they give me, keeping my face blank. The guy gets up grunting, one hand over his aching shoulder as he glares at you.

“so be it” he snaps before making his way over to his horse.

It wasn’t surprising to see archers in the thrown room, positioned on either side of the king, but to see another two on either side of the door and several guards along the walls, watching you walk into the room wasn’t entirely seen offended. Im considered lethal a voice in the back of your head whispers in your head, a edge to the humor. The king sat up slightly at your presence, his eyes snapping down to you and the guys who were behind you. He was trying to make his face emotionless but the anxiousness was only half masked in his eyes, show his venerable side. The side that wanted to cower back at your presence, cringes as you meet his stare. But he was also the king, and kings aren't weak. So he straightened himself, lifted his chin and chin and trying to calm his wild nerves that made his muscles twitch in anticipation, waiting for something to happen.

“my lord” you say, enjoying the way he seemed to feel even more scared at the words. Enjoying the power you seemed to wield without lifting a finger, that people knew you were dangerous the instant their eyes laid upon you, the way they seemed startled and on edge instantly. The king waves dismissively at your words. You note his hands shaking in the small action.

“___  ___ , or better known as Reevon” he says, trying to hide the shaking in his voice by increasing the volume. You pretend not to notice.

He leans back and stares at you, eyes torn between decisions that were at war in his head. Absently you eyes scan the room and your eyes fall upon Carnel, his dark brown hair cut short, his eyes narrowed at you. The older prince, the next step into his fathers place upon the thrown. You also notice Blake making his way to his brothers side, the others shifting uncomfortably on the other side of the room

“you don’t leave me many options, ____” the king says coldly

“I simply can not trust you…” he says in a flat almost cold voice. “but to kill you would be such a waste” he mutters darkly. You keep your gaze steady as hope rises in your chest.

“you will resume your stay here at the castle, teaching my soldiers. But! One wrong move and a sword will be put upon you” he says unmerciful, his voice still quivering as he stares down at you. The rooms silent for a moment, almost like everyone was too shocked to comprehend what he had just said. Then, blakes voice cuts through the silence, murmurs rising to echo under his voice in a hum of astonishment

“you can not keep her here! Are you mental!? Have you absolutely lost you mind old man?! She’s an assassin! She bloody branded us!! Like cows!! And im not using my old words for this.” Blake argues, showing the angry looking mark burned into his skin. More voices flew, some whispering questions to each other while others pronounced their view into the sea of voices. Their shouts were swept up in the flow of noise, turning into a hum with no real direction. When the king raised his hand, eyes disbelieving as he stared at the mark which deemed him under my authority, my protection.

“what?” the king yells in disbelief, his voice no longer shaking. The room falls silent again. Blake snarls at you before turning to his father.

“she branded us” he says to his father. The kings face turning red with rage and he looks at you.

“protection” you speak loudly over the roar of the small crowd yelling for your head. You turn your head to look at Blake, your hair flaring at the sudden motion.

“protection?!” Blake laughs, unamused, voice lacking any humor laughter usually held. “you put hot steel to our flesh!” he snaps.

“if I hadn’t ved would have and he wouldn’t have been so kind about it.” You reply dryly. Adding, “besides, it tells any assassin that your not to be killed by them. The most they can do is kidnap you and take you to me, then I decide what to do about you. It was kind of me to proclaim you as mine.” You look defiantly at the room daring anyone to challenge your words.

“kind? You?! By branding us like cattle!!??” Blake yells, walking towards you. You feel anger burn in your chest and you have to stop yourself from moving forwards to.

“ved would have done worse! At least I knew he couldn’t harm you or the others as long as you guys had my mark!” the room was unnaturally quiet, everyone holding their breath to hear blakes reply but he seemed to have lost his voice somewhere along the way and was now unable to throw anything back at you.

Finally Blake takes a step back, glaring at you as he shows that he’s not going to argue anymore. He was backing out. You take a sharp breath, needing the oxygen you lacked while you held your breath as you waited  for his next move, only to find it to be a surrender. You stare at him a while longer before turning back to the king, curiosity eating at you as you have the urge to examine and take note of the guys reactions.  you keep your eyes away from them, focusing on the king.  The king took a while to pull himself together but when he did, he let out a long, shaky breath.

“my decision is made and I will not go back on it.” He says almost absently. With those words you feel tears welling up in your eyes, and without waiting to be dismissed you turn around swiftly and stalk towards the door. The tears start spilling over your expressionless face just as you reach the door. You rush into the corridor where you speed up faster and faster until you are all but sprinting down the empty, white halls.