Chapter 16

The castle grounds were quiet in the early morning, the darkness still holding onto everything. Clouds had covered the moon a while ago, letting the shadows play in the moons absence. There was only the slightest breeze in the air and no one around. you had asked one of the servants for new clothes as soon as you left the room and almost murdered someone when they gave you a pale pink dress with 2 inch heels, the servant, being smart, just gave you a spare change of clothes that were meant for the stable boy.

 You look over the training grounds where only a few days ago you were training soldiers and guards who laughed at you until you made an example of an idiot who decided to speak up. That almost instantly shut them up, well, most of them anyway. You hear the smallest sound behind you and after a few seconds jorden sits down next to you.

jorden shifts uncomfortably next to you, trying to find the words he was looking for. Slowly he turns to you, still looking lost for words.

“was- was what you said… was that true?” jorden chokes out, his voice rough. you glance at him from the corner of your eye. his face seemed a little pale with the thought that you could do something like that. you sigh without a sound and focus your eyes back into the distance, not really seeing anything.

“yes” you say emotionlessly, your eyes still fixed on the training ground. you were really wondering about him, sometimes, mostly around the guys, he would be indifferent to you and then he would always be the first to seek you out. it really was confusing and you don't know what to think about him.

“im sorry” jorden says quietly after a moment of silence. you stop yourself from making your usual remark, that it wasn't his fault and even if it was then that wouldn't do you much good would it? you squash the sudden rise of temper and force a small smile, glancing at him.

“don’t worry about it, she was a bitch.” You say, thinking back to when you saw her nearly everyday back in the camps.

“she was still your sister” jorden says. You feel utter annoyance at his words and force yourself to say,

“and yet, she was still a murderer” almost absently instead of saying some of the other things that were running though you mind at the moment. After a while of silence you look over at jorden. He looked confused and surprised at your words, then you realize.

“you don’t know the story then… well, of coarse you don’t.” you mutter bitterly, jorden looks at you questioningly

“what do you mean?” he says. you sigh and hesitate for a minute. should you really allow this much of yourself to be known? you dismiss the thought, couldn't hurt anything but yourself and you can handle it.

“my parents and I had never really gotten along. But my sister… she was horrible to them. She never did anything nice, to anyone. She kept stealing money and food. One day she gave all the money she had saved or stolen to an assassin, asking for him to kill our parents. Of coarse he agreed… before he left our house that night he offered us a choice. Either live on the streets for the rest of our lives and eventually die from starvation or something of that nature, or we could become assassins. My sister was quick to accept of coarse, but I hesitated. You should have seen the look my sister gave me.” You smile bitterly at the memory.

“so, I accepted… I was only 10 at the time and I couldn’t let my 8 year old sister go join something like that alone.” You say shrugging to yourself, feeling the hopelessness of those years well up inside you again.

“10?” jorden asks sounding surprised. You nod your head slowly. After a few seconds you feel something on your waist and before you can jump back you are pulled sideways. You body goes rigid as jorden hugs you, his arms holding you to his firm chest. You sit there for a second, wondering what you should do when suddenly jorden pulls back and scratches the back of his neck awkwardly.

“um…” he says, looking at the ground “I should…” then he stands up and walks away, but you could see the tension in his shoulders.  When jorden was out of sight you let out a sigh and relaxed. That was, until someone else walked up behind you a few minutes later. It was cam.

“hey.” He greeted cheerfully, obviously not concerned about you killing your own sister.

“hey.” You greet soberly, he offers you a hand and you both start walking around the garden, not heading anywhere just walking randomly.  You walk along the stone path, cam chatting quietly and happily, making sure to dodge anything to do with sisters and killing. After a while you stared to get annoyed, so you turned to him, a polite smile on your face.

“hey cam, if you don’t mind… id like to be alone for a while” you say warmly, still forcing the smile on your face.

“sure” he grins and goes to walk away but hesitates, his eyes locked on your face. You watch him for a while, wondering how long it will take for him to walk away. But he surprised you by stepping forward and placing a small kiss on your cheek before bounding away, but not before you saw the light blush on his cheeks.

You were going to have to set him straight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

A\N

so you finally know her past, what do you think about it? did i do good?