Chapter 13

You sat alone on a small rock bench, glaring at the fabric which flowed over your legs in a delicate red waves. You hate dresses, they always got in the way, and the high-heels you are wearing? You could barely stand upright, let alone walk in them.

It had been a week since you killed ved. The guys still walked around glaring at you, seeming confused as to why you were putting up with everything. Sometimes you found yourself wondering the same thing. You had the dresses and heels, the stupid guards who refused to learn, there was the horny guys who thought they can get any piece of tail they wanted.

The sky was getting darker, the wind still light and playful and the stars dotted the sky with small white lights. You glanced behind you when you hear a sound and look at the castle which was alight, light shining through the windows, figures swarming around in the rooms like busy bee’s. people made their way to the entrance in elegant clothes, long, flowing dresses, dark suits. It was all to formal. You don’t even know why you had to do come to this dinner. Why was I so important? It was just snobby people talking about other peoples snobbishness and back-stabbing each other every second.

“you look nice” a voice says from your side. You look at jorden who was standing a meter away, watching you.

“thank you” you say emotionlessly. He nodded and sat down at the other end of the seat, seeming as if he wanted to know something.

“ask me.” You say, looking straight at him, wanting to get to the point. He looked at you then towards the sky.

“why are you here?” his voice was curious and slightly annoyed, but there was no hostility or accusation you had become so accustomed to.

“it’s a nice night.” You say shrugging and knowing full well what he actually meant.

“that’s not what I mean.” jorden says, slightly more annoyed now. You sigh and think for a moment.

“I honestly don’t know.” You say, not looking at him, playing with the fabric of the dress.

jorden nods slowly, his hair swaying in the motion. It goes quiet for a while before he turns to you, studying your face. You stare back, not quite sure what he was thinking.

“I don’t get you.” He says quietly. You stand up, smoothing your dress and trying not to fall over.

“good, its better for you if we keep it that way.” You state and turn to leave. Jorden grabs your arm, stopping you from walking. You turn your head and look first at his hand, then at him. He didn’t seem to know what to do next and instead released your arm.

“sorry” he mutters before walking away seeming confused. Honestly you don't blame him, you were to. There was something in his eyes, just before he left, some feeling that you didn’t recognize flickered in his eyes. You shake your head, brushing the thought out of your mind.

You make your way up the stone path and towards the main door. As you get closer you notice jay at the door, taking peoples names down. A lady in a pale pink dress –her dirty blond hair pulled back so tight on her head, you were getting a headache just looking at her- shot you a look, not liking the way you were dressed, or maybe she didn’t like the way you walked. It was hard to tell.

“name?” jay asks as you walk up to him, his face towards the small clipboard he held.

“not very alert.” You comment and tap the cord so it whacked his nose gently. He grunted and glared at you.

“thanks for informing me on the lack of interest I have with this job.” He snarls at you, seemingly annoyed about you hitting his nose. You step forward, shoving the clipboard to his chest.

“don’t be like that jay, cause you never know when an assassins going to walk right up to you and slit your throat.” You comment, narrowing your eyes at him, slightly hurt at his coldness. Suddenly you wished Jorden hadn’t talked to you, then you wouldn’t have noticed how cold the rest of them were acting towards you.

“so find interest in the job, cause you never know when someone wants you dead.” You release the board and step back.

“just be thankful im not looking to shed blood jay.” You say and start to walk past him when he mutters,

“isn’t that what this is for reevon?” rubbing the burned spot on his chest through his clothes. You stop, guilt and hurt running through you at the sound of your old assassin name. you make no comment and try to act as if you didn’t hear him, walking away surprised that you didn’t wobble in your heels.

The entrance was had a few stray people who talked quietly while everyone else was in the ball room to the left, listening to soft classical music and talking to each other, some laughing in their snobby ways and others walking from group to group, sipping drinks. A servant walked past you, carrying a tray of drinks, it looked like a chimpain. Another servant seemed to have one with wine in the fancy glasses. You walk into the room, trying not to talk to anyone.

“I don’t get why im here” you announce your presence to the king who turned away from a guard he had been talking to.

“you are here cause it’s the best if you were. You would know any assassins that walk into the castle,, and, im sure with your experience you could handle it” he answers, his voice lighter than usual, showing his good mood. You note Blake and Jorden walking up on one side of you.

“assassin are always trying to get in here on this night-oh yes please!” the kings grabs a glass from a servant and sips at the golden liquid in the fancy glass.

The servant offers you a drink but you wave her away dismissively. She scurries away and as you watch her leave someone else catches your eyes. Someone familiar. A servant walks through the crowd, her long brown hair tied into a messy bun, her slim figure moving through the crowd silently. You have a strange sense that you know her but dismiss it, knowing all too well it wouldn't be who you thought it was. The girl was a servant you had seen walking around the castle several times. It wasn’t her.

Then she turns around, her dark eyes meeting yours and she winks, a wicked smile fleetly crossing her lips. Then she was gone, moving through the crowd silently. Something shining between her breast glinted and you realize she has a knife stashed there. It was her you realize, and you stare at her for a hard minute till she disappears from view.

“Jenga?”