Chapter 21

You glare at Jorden. What could have been so important he had to drag you down here for it?

“Why are we here?” you ask, moving so you were standing in front of him, hovering on the river’s edge.

“What? You don’t want to hang out with me?” he asks, his arms still crossed over his chest he raises his eyebrow. You don’t say anything, just watch him closely. Why would he drag you down here? Was there a point to this nonsense?

“Walk with me” Jorden says and starts walking away. Hesitantly you follow, trying hard not to fall over the roots of the trees. You had been trained to walk from treetop to treetop, not on the ground. Jorden says nothing as you walk. Instead he glances back at you every few seconds.

“Where are we going?” you ask, though you know he won’t tell you.

“Somewhere” he says evasively. You stare at his back, annoyed, that's when you noticed the tension in his shoulders. he was doing a good job at hiding it, seeming casual but still tense. what was he planning? was he... nervous? you think back to the camp and when the new assassin's were assigned in groups to take their first outing, the way the newbies stood. face relaxed but shoulders tense, his stance was very similar to that. what could he have to be nervous about? you wonder, your mind racing. but you decided to trust him and not kill him on the spot though there was still the uneasy feeling in your stomach that said he had something planned.

After another minute of walking you start to hear something. A rumbling sound, almost musical as it hummed in the quiet forest. The sound grew louder and soon you were stepping over rocks that jutted out of the ground. Then suddenly you feel a breeze against your skin and the space before you opened up into what seemed like nothingness.

The sky stretched out before you, a few clouds dotting the blue and purple sky, birds fluttering through the air like they were dancing as they chased each other. A pair of birds dart out of the forest and past you, wings sending a swirl of air that tugs at your hair. You step forward and look down. The stream dropped down sharply, water splashing into a small pool at the bottom before joining another stream. The water shimmering up at you, frothy, white water rippling as if waving.

“How far down do you think it is?” Jorden says, walking over to your side and looking at your face as if he had to memorize every bit of it. That’s when you realize that a wide smile had stretched itself onto your face. You look away from him, back down to the water, stifling the smile on your face.

“10 meters?” you say, shrugging a shoulder. you continue to take in the beautiful sight before you, careful to keep your emotions hidden and your face stoic. you vow to yourself to come back here alone, so you could fully appreciate the beauty.

“Hm” Jorden says, staring out over the forest. After a few minutes Jorden yawns and turns to you. “Well, let’s go, don’t have all day.” He says. You nod silently glancing down at the dancing water below you then at Jorden who was taking off his shirt.

“What are you do-“before you could even finish the sentence, Jorden throws his shirt down and runs towards the edge. He jumps off the edge, and within seconds is entering the frothy water. Water sprays into the air, winking in the light before falling again. You rush to the edge in a panic, hoping fiercely that there wasn’t large rocks at the bottom of the waterfalls pool. you cant seem to breath as you wait for his brown hair to resurface, bands tightening around your chest.

A few seconds later Jorden’s head pops up, and you take a minute to calm your beating heart. He shakes water from his hair, droplets flying around him. you look up at the sky, just happy that he wasn't dead.

“Come on down! The waters great!” he shouts up at you. You look around, not sure what to do. you had no bathing suit with you and you didn't want to make the trek back to the castle in wet clothes.

“You’re not scared are you?” Jorden laughs from the bottom of the waterfall. 

“No!” you yell back without hesitation. you belatedly realize that you are a little bit afraid to throw yourself into empty space like he had just done.

“Then this should be easy!” he says and you could see his easy grin while he treks the water lazily. you sigh and look around once more as if something would just pop up in the general area and solve this problem for you.