Chapter 14

People flowed into the large room still, drinks being lifted from silver plates, posh laughter contaminating the air like pollution. You had lost sight of jenga, the assassin posing as a maid. You couldn’t seem to find her as you made your way through the crowd. Then the kings voice rang out over the crowd, telling people the dinner was about to start and people start heading into the dining room. His cheeks flushed and his voice a little to loud. You quickly go to the kings side, eyes scanning the crowd.

“whats wrong?” Jorden asks, his breath brushing against your ear, making you shiver. “you look kinda pale” you glance at him, debating weather or not to tell him.

“its nothing.” You say absently, making up your mind and turning your eyes back to the crowd. Jorden drops it and moves back. Soon you are in the dining room, sitting to the left of the king with Blake on the other side of the king. Blake seemed to think something wasn’t right either and was staring at you. The king stood up and the room fell silent, watching the king. He was about to make an announcement. You knew you should be listening but you were preoccupied.

 The king said something about prince carnel looking for a wife. You didn’t pay much attention though, you kept expecting the servants door to flying open, for jenga to come barreling out with weapons and a million assassins she’s smuggled into the place. But it didn’t happen. But she may have smuggled assassins in but you didn’t recognize anyone to be an assassin.

Your eyes find Jorden and jay positioned along the wall, both standing as still as statues, Blake sitting across the table, watching his father, cams head bobbing though the small glass window in the servants door.

Before you can think of a plan the king was wrapping up his speech, announcing dinner to be served. On cue, the servants walked out, carrying silver dishes. Jenga was one of them and made her way towards the king, her face emotionless, her movements calm and measured. You tense as she gets closer, too close for comfort. She places the dish down in front of the king, her eyes sliding over you for a second. You both seem to move at the same time.

Jenga grabs the blade from her shirt as you grab one of your own from a hidden pocket in your dress. She lunged at the king and you lunged at her. The room seemed to be in shock as the blades collided with a sharp sound of metal on metal. You strain against each other, both trying to get the advantage. You notice in the back of your mind that the king was being moved along with Blake and carnel as you and jenga lock eyes. Then suddenly everything seems to go to hell, the guests jump up from their seats, screaming as they rushed towards the doors, solders trying desperately to reach you with the crowd shoving them in every direction.

You shove all your weight at her and she stumbles back, sending people close to her scattering and becoming more panicked. You lunge forward but she side steps you, moving in a fluid motion. You spin around, your blade finding hers again, then again, and again as you move, desperate for an opening. The solders try to move in but jenga is good, she moves so that she’s always guarding herself, with a wall, with chairs or innocent people, and always keeping you in her sight, never giving you an opening. This wasn't looking good, and it got even worse when she grabbed someone, slitting their throat and laughing as you moved in again, looking for anyway to get to her. She kept dodging, killing and wounding anyone she could as she danced around the room. You realize it would be so much easier if it was just you and her.

Adonis’s body fell to the ground with a muffled thump, his sword cluttering from his hand and onto the floor. Another solider jumped into the fray, looking to take jenga out but he to was cut down. You growl in frustration and rip the skirt down the side, putting your dagger in your mouth and ripping the damned thing off, leaving you in your petticoat with the top of the dress hanging loosely off your corset. You grab your dagger and kick the skirt away from you as you lunge foreword again and sweep your blade, desperate to stop the meaningless slaughter. Jenga’s blades cuts into your arm, slicing a long cut down your forearm. But you hold you position. Your blade still protruding from her ribs. She glances down, looking at her white shirt which was now becoming stained with blood.

Jenga looks at you with seething anger in her eyes. She moves forward, looking to cut your throat with her dagger but she didn’t get far with your dagger still buried in her ribs, stopping her from moving to far. Everyone seemed to have stopped attacking, seeming to be absorbed into what was going on between you and jenga.

“you made a mistake coming here” you say panting.

“no, you made the mistake.” She says couching up a bit of blood. “you were weak.” She snarls before driving her dagger into your arm again, making you release the dagger you held to her chest.

Someone pushes a sword into your hands, barely giving you time to get a hold on it before pushing you after jenga’s retreating form. You see a familiar head of blonde hair stumble and then fall onto the floor. All to soon your stepping over jay’s body and are penetrating the inner circle, not giving jenga enough time to realize you were there before you push the sword into her back, shoving it in deeper with all your strength, adding your weight behind it. You breathe hard as the sharp blade refuses to go any deeper into the girls body, you push harder and feel the blade come out the other side of her.