Chapter 18

“Hey” you snap at the servant, trying to make everyone remember you were an assassin, a force to be reckoned with. Not some pushover girl. People seemed to have been forgetting that. Not an assassin anymore a voice whispers in your head. You nod to yourself, but then think but just as dangerous.

The servant was a small kid, around the age of 12, with dark hair and a nose too big for his small face. He turned to me, his eyes looking slightly startled.

“Can I help you?” he asks quickly, trying to keep the strain out of his voice. He was carrying two buckets, nearly filled to the brim with clear water.

“Where are you going?” you motion to the buckets. He looks down, still straining against the weight of the buckets.

“The stables, the troth's are empty.” You nod slowly, wondering why that was. Curiosity makes you walk forward, taking one of the heavy buckets.

“I’ll help” you couldn’t resist the chance, curiosity eating at you, but you know you couldn’t just walk in without any warning. The servant went to protest but a glare from you shut him up pretty well. The stables weren’t massive, but still reasonable for the king’s horses. 20 horses could fit in comfortably in one stall.

“Thanks for getting the water Demond” ash says hearing the footsteps then around to see you with the servant and for a split second he looks surprised.

“Oh, ___ you’ve come to help?” ash’s voice was clam and pleasant. But for some reason it made you bristle slightly.

“Why are the troughs empty?” you ask with an edge of ice in your voice, but you forced a smile to try and lighten it. You wanted them to remember you were capable of killing without making them terrified. Not that ash would be, but the servant edged away slightly before offering to take the bucket and scurrieing over to the trough at the other side of the barn.

Ash shrugs, only lifting one shoulder.

“it’s been warm lately and the horses keep drinking it all, we haven’t been getting a lot of rain lately either” he glances at one of the stalls as a horse lets out an impatient noise and kicks the door slightly, making the wood rattle. You kick yourself for being so curious, just the lack of rain and horse’s thirst, nothing strange going on. You were about to excuse yourself when you hear a loud thump and people shouting, the sounds muffled. Then a scream and more destructive noises.

Within seconds you and ash are out of the barn and running down the path to the gardens where you could see figures swinging at each other. As you drew closer a female servent let out another cry and stumbled backwards. Ash grabs the girl to steady her. She looked at him then you before pointing a dirt coated finger towards the two figures attacking each other. As you draw closer you notice they are in a full out fight, punches flying, the hits strong and powerful. Powerful enough to make the other stumble back, split lips, bloody noses, already bruising cheeks and eyes, scratched up and bloody knuckles. This was bad, and you had to put an end to it before it got any worse.

You spring forward, shoving jay and Jorden apart, barely avoiding a swing. They stumbled on their feet but were soon moving forward again. You seemed to be invisible to them. They didn’t care that you were standing between them, they wanted to fight weather you were there or not.

“Jay! Jorden!” you snap, looking between them. your arms almost buckleing as they both threw their weight against your arms.

“You’re a lying scumbag!” jay shouts, oblivious to you. his face flushed and red, anger radiateing from him.

“I’m telling the truth!” Jorden says seething with anger, trying to walk forwards, only your hand on his chest stopping him.

“You don’t need to make every decision for-“jay was cut off as Jorden leapt forward, slapping your hand away from his chest and swinging. You move towards Jorden, grabbing his outstretched arm and using his momentum to pull him out of the way. You pin his arm behind his back as he stumbles forwards into a tree. You pull the top half of his body straight before he hits the tree, making sure that he didn’t run head first into the tree. Instead he just slammed into the tree with enough force to shake the tree.

You hold him there, carful of his fist which he was flinging back at you, trying to hit you. Jay walks over meekly, noticing for the first time that you were there. He says nothing, just staring at Jorden who was grunting, trying to free himself. Finally Jorden stops moving, still glowering at the bark by his face.

“Stupid bitch” he mutters darkly. You have the urge to slam his face into the tree but you release him instead, ignoring his comment.  Jorden rubs his shoulder as he turns around, glaring at the path. Ash huffs and walks over, seeming to have calmed down the girl.

“What was that about?” he asks the same question you had just been thinking, but you were too preoccupied to voice it. Jorden and jay suddenly look sheepish, Jorden suddenly very interested in his shoes, jay was very interested in ash’s face. No one speaks.

“Guys” you say sharply, annoyance creeping into your voice. If it was serious enough to fight over why wouldn’t they tell you?

“It was nothing” jay mutters “right?” he looks at Jorden, hatred still clear on his face.

“Yeah, nothing.” Jorden agrees darkly and shoves past ash, bumping his shoulder before stalking off. Jay snarls at Jorden’s back before walking away, shoulders slumped as he glowers at the rose bushes.

Ash shrugs his shoulders. You watch as he turns away, going back to take the girl back to the castle. But you could see that he was snickering. You couldn’t think of why, your thoughts troubled and hungry you make your way to the castle, wondering how long until dinner pushing futher thought about it to be delt with alone later.

-----------

A/N

two updates in one day! this one was prewritten by the way, i just didnt have a place for it so sorry for any mistakes with the sory line, i went over it but my editing skill.... well lets just say they leave room for improvement lol.