Chapter One

Three years after

It was another normal Monday for Katie: help David out at the dress store until it's almost dark, watch a movie with him and then rest for the other day to come.

She was already out the door after eating an apple and a cup of yogurt for breakfast, that was what she always ate, she didn't like trying new things so she stuck with what she used to be forced to eat at the hospital, that being fruits, juices, all kinds of yogurts, salads and lasagnas. And of course, her favorite, strawberry ice cream with chocolate chips. Katie was tying to be herself, even though she didn't know much about herself. She was very good at math but she didn't know how, she loved theater but she didn't know where the passion came from, she didn't like boys but she didn't know if she was always like that. She is a very particular type of girl, she loves calm classical music but she wants to learn how to play the drums. She is obsessed with braids but she won't let her hair grow more than the length of her shoulders to do them. She is very passionate about what she likes, she dives in with all her spirit, but she can abandone a habit in blink of an eye if she wants to.

Since the day of the accident, Katie has been living with David and his daughter Kristen who was Katie's favorite nurse when she was in the hospital. Well, Kristen has married since then and is now living in Florida, so Katie lives with David, her favorite old man in the world, but don't let him hear that. She was diagnosed with amnesia from severe head injury that also caused brain damage that lead to slow speech, sometimes stuttering and also difficulties in social interactions. Some doctors fought among themselves about her having aspergers but seeing as her head trauma was so big it was impossible for her to not slow down with developmental and interaction, so they discarded aspergers. Because of her amnesia she, sometimes, has short episodes of memory loss where she won't remember where she is or the date; the doctors also said that her type of amnesia could be treated as she lives the life she used to live before the accident but since she doesn't have any contact with the life or the people she had, that's not a possibility.

Right now, she's just trying to live like she knows how to. Walking super fast through the streets of Pitsburgh to get to David's dress store, it's not that she's late but since she spent six months learning how to walk again she never wanted to waste the time she has to walk, by catching an uber or something. Walking alongside the cement sidewalk she makes sure not to step on the cracks, Kristen once said that it's bad luck. Katie laughed thinking about that, she already had the baddest luck in the whole world. 

As soon as she walks in the store she sees a teenage girl with a beautiful baby pink dress on, she assumes the girl will be a maid of honor. She sprints to the back of the store entering a small office where David styles the dresses. She realizes that she was, what people say, 'rude' because she didn't say hi to anyone. She walks out pulling her headphones from her ears and she notices the girl has already walked into the dressing room to put on another piece.

"Good morning, I'm sorry!" she says looking straight to David, it was more comfortable for her to look at him than at the people sitting there.

"It's okay." He smiles proud that she remembered it. "Can you give this to Nicole?" He pointed to the hand hanging out the dressing room. She nodded her head and did what he asked. He and the others costumers continued a conversation while Katie kept waiting for Nicole to put the next dress on.

"Are you still there?" she heard the girl say. She nodded but then she realized the girl couldn't see her through the door.

"Uhm, yes." as soon as she responded, the girl opened the small door and turned around holding the zipper on her back. 

"Help me out." she asked and Katie closed the zipper up making the dress fit perfectly on the girl beautiful body. Katie was self conscious about her body, she knew the scars on her chest and stomach were ugly and that's why she only used plus size T shirts, sometimes she even stoles some from David.

"You look beautiful." Katie looked at her feet while the girl looked at herself in the mirror, she noticed the girl tried to look at her but she looked down again letting her hair fall on the side of her face.

"Thank you, I'm really nervous for this wedding, my boyfriend's sister is getting married and she asked me to be her maid of honor after her best friend tried to kiss her fiancée." she blurted out. "I know, what a friend." the girl finally turned around to walk out but before doing she took a look at the employee in front of her. "Wow." she said in one breath.

Katie looked up to the girl who had her eyes filled with tears. She was worried for a moment.

"What? Do I have something on my face?" Katie asked rubbing her hands on her cheeks.

"Uhm, no."  Nicole swallowed big before speaking. "You look like someone I know. My sister." she looked like she has just seen a ghost. Maybe she did.

"Oh, is she pretty?" that was the boldest thing Katie has ever said and you bet her cheeks are flaming red now.

"Yes. She was very pretty, actually." the girl fidgeted with her hands. Katie noticed the entonation change and wondered what that meant.

"Did something happened to her face?" she asked and Nicole giggled at Katie's innocence.

"No, she died a few years ago. I bet she's not pretty aymore."

"Ew, gross." Katie thought out loud. "Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to offend you." Katie touched her hand but she felt something weird about her touch and she pulled her hand to herself very quick. They looked at each other for longer than expected.

"I'm not offended." she smiled and someone called her name outside the room so she went ahead and left Katie alone.

Katie had a frown as she kept thinking about the interaction and about Nicole's sister. She never felt her hand tremble as she touched someone before. Could it mean something? She wondered. 

She must've thought about it a lot because she felt her head pound and her eyes automatically closed from pain. It usually happened when she was having an amnesia episode. She sat down and waited for the pain to go away. She fidgeted with her headphones hanging from her neck, which was a habit of hers, one that she couldn't get rid of, just like biting her lips when nervous; she had to change headphones often and her lips were always cracked. It was also another reason the doctors thought of aspergers, she would rock herself on the hospital bed day in and day out and she still does sometimes, alongside other fidgeting habits.

"Today is 18th of August of 2019. My name is Katie, I'm at David's store." she checks up to see if she still remembered things. She got more confused, if this wasn't an amnesia thing, what was it?! 

Before she could think of the answer the pain came back harder and along with it, a memory. A memory!

"Nic, only dumb girls like that Bieber guy." she said to the younger girl beside her. They were sitting down on the back row of a car. She couldn't see anyone else but the girl. Brown hair, two or three locks of green hair and a fringe. She looked familiar.

"I'm deeply offended." the girl answered followed by a laugh. She sounds familiar too.

Katie tried to focus from where she knew that voice and that face. 

"I don't want to try anymore dresses, Jesse!" she heard Nicole say it from outside the room. 

Realization came to her as she stoop up quickly. 

I knew Nicole? She thought to herself.

hey y'all, it took me long enough but I wanted to see if people liked the other one to know if I should continue with the story. Anyway, I wanna go ahead and say some things about the story: this is gonna be, most of the times, katie's pov, if not, i will let you know. things may happen fast in the beginning bc this is about when Katie's life changes dramatically, so I won't have an episode where she's just reading all day or somethin', drama, angst, memories and new informations will happen a lot. and that's it for now. i think I'll be posting every friday.

xoxo LOLA