Chapter Thirteen

Melissa wakes up to find herself with the same black dress she wore to the dinner party, she gets up confused and learns that her headache is too much to keep her eyes opened for more than two seconds. She doesn't remember getting home but she does remember the most important part of the night: her wife.

Happiness just came to Melissa as she remembers hugging and talking to Katie, she feels an incredible desire to see her wife again so she makes the decision to stop at their house and see how she's doing. To be sincere, she also thought she just had a dream and she need to confirm or deny this theory.

She takes out the dress that's making her uncomfortable and makes her way into the kitchen to get some aspirin, she notices her best friend just getting inside the apartment.

"Hey Cinderella, I thought the curfew was midnight." Melissa jokes.

"I got home at midnight, you were too drunk to see it." she joins Mel in the kitchen.

"Sorry, rough night." Melissa says as an excuse for herself, she wasn't sure if Katie was okay with telling other people.

"How was it?"

"Well, you know, it was hard to be at my old house celebrating the holiday that I lost my wife at. But it turned out good." Melissa smiled to herself.

"Yeah, I hope you don't get mad at me about that, Katie came to me a couple weeks ago." Chyler confessed afraid of her friend's reaction but Melissa knew better than to act badly.

"Oh, so she remembered you?"

"No, actually. But I've helping her remember you, that's why I hope you don't get mad."

"I'm not mad, Chyler, I don't understand it either why she would hide all this time but she's different now, I could tell. Maybe we just have to bring old Katie back."

"That's not the answer, she said that she wouldn't change who she is for anyone, not even for you. She doesn't seem to like old Katie, she wants to be different and she already is so different, seriously, she just has the same name and face because everything else is changed. You have to get to know her for this to work."

"But when she remembers things, doesn't she become more and more like before?"

"No, because her personality has changed, when she remembers things is just information to her, she can't even feel the things she felt at the time. Like, she remembered a lot of things from the wedding day, yet she couldn't figure out why she chose to marry you, it's just like a movie to her."

"I just have to make it real." Melissa theorized in her head.

"Yeah, exactly. But first, put on some clothes, please, I'm offended by your perfect abs." Chyler pretended to cover her eyes while walking to her room.

"Oh, shut up, you know I don't like when you talk about my body when you have a perfect one." she pointed to Chyler while she walked away.

"Sure. Come on, I'll take you to your house so you can get to your car." Chyler ignored he comment wanting to get this thing over with so she could sleep. She had a full night at the hospital.

...

As the two girls parked on the other side of Melissa's old house, they could see her car perfectly parked in front of the garage. Melissa was the first one to walk up to the door and ring the bell, Chyler walked there before someone answered. Katie's younger brother answered the door being surprised with the view.

"Oh, hi, come in. Katie is not home, actually, but she'll come back in an hour, I guess." He ranted out assuming that they were there to see his sister.