Chapter Twelve

Mary had called Melissa to say that the party had been changed to 8pm instead of 7pm, she purposely did it so Katie would have time to greet everyone before Mel arrived. Jonas had implied multiple times that the plan would fail because everyone would be talking about Katie and Melissa would figure it out very quickly. Katie also thought it was a major risk to do that but she didn't want to disappoint her mother and her major concern was not encountering Melissa at the party, if she knew Katie was alive but had not seen her she wouldn't be so shaken up. Also, she was hoping she wouldn't bring that girl to the party, Katie would ruin the plan just to kick her out.

"You look gorgeous, Kate." Her dad surprised her standing on the door frame of her room. She looked at herself in the mirror.

She had a pink dress on, knee length and it held down on her arms leaving her neck and shoulders showing skin. Katie found this dress in her closet and thought it was cute, but she wouldn't wear it in the past because it showed her big chest scar that went to her shoulder as well, and the scar she had on her throat from a breathing tube. But since today was all about showing herself to everyone, she better prove to them that is her and that she survived the accident. She also had very little make up on that Nicole did for her.

"Thank you, dad. Has anyone arrived yet?"

"Yeah, some of your cousins, do you want to go down now?" He offered his hand for her to take and she smiled and did.

They walked the hall before walking down the stairs. Every step Katie took made the room sound quieter and quieter. She finally looked up to see the room full of people that looked like either herself or her parents looking at her with wide eyes.

"You said a couple cousins." Katie whispered to her dad.

"Sorry." He smiled letting go of her hand when the first person came up to talk to her.

"My little Katie." By the voice Katie knew who it was and she felt so happy that she recognized someone.

"Grandma." Kate hugged her tight.

"You remember me?" The old lady asked crying.

"Now that I see you, how could I ever forget this beautiful face of yours." Katie caressed her cheeks.

Soon, the whole room became an interview with Katie McGrath, and she was pretending to like it but inside she was about to have a meltdown and yell at everybody. Mom would kill me, she thought as one of her cousins was telling her about the engagement she called off a few weeks before.

"Hey guys, can I borrow Katie for a moment? Thanks!" Nicole grabbed her hand and kidnapped her upstairs. "Melissa just parked outside!"

"Oh my goodness! Thank you for saving me."

"You're welcome, now, I'll try to change the subject downstairs and I'll call Jonas to stay with you, ok?" Nicole laid out the plan and Katie nodded running to her room and closing the door.

She was panting from the nerves. She felt like her world was about to end in five minutes because someone would just tell Mel as soon as she got in and she would come straight in the room to find her. But she had hopes that Nicole would make it work.

"Mel, so long no see!" Nicole said going outside the house before the girl had time to come inside. They hugged and Nicole put an arm around her shoulder and lead her to the backyard. "The entrance is through here, well, not really, but it's where people you know are." Nicole lied, she wanted Mel to engage a conversation with her parents so people wouldn't tell her what just happened.

"Oh, okay! Look, I was so nervous spending Christmas together after all those years, that I took a couple shots before coming here but don't tell your mom." Melissa admitted. Nicole smiled thinking that everything was working out like she wanted.