Chapter Eight

Katie had decided to lay down a little bit so she asked her mom to leave the room so she would try to relax and the migraine would hopefully go away. Actually, she wanted to read more of Mel's journals and not have anyone bother her. She had almost decided on a page before she heard a knock on the door, her brother came in before she could answer.

"So, I did something." he confessed, Katie looked at him like he was an alien. "I called a doctor."

"Why Jonas? I told y'all I was alright, I don't need to see a doctor." she was clearly bothered by the action her brother took without telling her.

"But listen, her name is Chyler, she was one of your best friends and she really misses you. I didn't tell her anything yet tho, I can tell her to go home." Jonas gave the decision to her.

Katie was now curious to see what her best friend would look like, she never had one beside David. "Let her in." she said getting up.

"Are you sure?" he asked one more time before getting out of the room, Katie nodded. He left and Katie heard his voice say "Don't freak out" before opening the door again and a tall woman with a white purse came in. 

Katie had a chance to look at her before she realised who Katie was. She assumed the woman was older than her because of the few marks on her face, she loved how her hair was styled, it was shorter than hers and fell all to one side while the other side was almost shaved, and it had a pretty red color. The woman's eyes were brown and they were as wide as they could be, she turned around to get out of the room, probably scared Katie was a ghost or something.

"No, it's me." Katie said making Chyler turn around, the younger walked a little closer so her friend could look at her properly. "I'm alive." she felt tears coming down her face and she didn't know why.

"H-how?" Chyler was crying also. She put her purse down and held Katie's face in her hands looking at every detail of her face, she caressed a scar she had on her eyebrow. "I can't believe this." she finally pulled Katie to a tight hug.

Katie noticed how every person she met was very happy and emotional to see her, maybe she was very special to a lot of people, maybe the person she was before was a very good one. She enjoyed the hug that definitely felt her best friend's. Katie thought it was weird how she had a confirmation every time about the people she meets but she doesn't know what it is, what it feels like, she just know they are who they say they are.

"I'm sorry Jonas called you here. I told them I was fine" Katie smiled after they were in front of each other again.

"Wait, was someone actually sick?" Chyler asked drying her tears.

"Not really, he just wanted me to see you."

"Then I'm glad he called, I missed you so much, oh my gosh Katherine!" she said very fast hugging her again. Katie laughed. "What happened, why did you hide for all these years, did someone try to kill you?"

"No! Why would someone try to kill me?!" Katie was trying to act very normal around Chyler, she didn't want to see the girl's face once she told her she didn't remember her, she learned it was the most heartbreaking thing to see. "It's just a long story for another day. But who are you, how is...life?" Katie didn't know anything about the girl, so she didn't know what to ask.

She sat down on her bed and Chyler followed. "Everything is normal, I am actually a pediatrician now, I finished my residency two years ago." Katie smiled, that was good, right? "Me and Nate didn't work out, actually, we broke up three months ago but it's good, you know, it's a new beginning for me."

"Yeah, I know what you mean."

"How about you?" Chyler passed the ball to Katie who started to panic but tried not to show it.