Chapter Twenty Five

Right when Melissa got home, she threw up the food she ate 24 hours ago since it was the last time she ate. She noticed her throat was hurting and that her body was warmer than normal. She took a cold shower and laid down on her bed taking a deep breath of relief to finally be home after a two-day rollercoaster. She was having physical symptoms of a mental stress episode that just happened. It was quite often to happen to her after she was diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression, she knew she just had to rest and take some Tylenol and she would be fine in a day.

Chyler got home just when Melissa had decided to make a soup for herself.

"Hey, any news on Katie?" it had to be the first thing she asked, right?

"She woke up."

"Seriously?! That's awesome! Why do you look like someone died?" she asked noticing her friend's face.

"We were told that she might have problems with her memory again, and she did."  Mel was already crying again. "When she woke up she thought she was in the hospital because of the accident, the car accident."

"That's- weird. So, she's the Katie we used to know. How is that bad for you? I thought you wanted her to remember her past."

"It's bad because I fell in love with this new version of Katie, she is the essence of what the Katie we know doesn't dare to be. She wasn't a completely different person when I saw her at Christmas, she was the person that I fell in love with. Katie got used to being normal, to hiding her real self to please people around her, but she always like theatre and pancakes and yogurt, she was loving and caring when we were alone but she was scared to show her feelings round you guys, she loved her family but couldn't admit it. Katie was never someone different before or after the accident, she was just used to being shut down by her fears."

"Wow. Now that you say, I can see that. So, what is your plan?" Chyler asked excitedly to one more chapter of a Mexican telenovela that was their life.

"Plan? There's no plan. I'm not ready to deal with all the unsolved business we had before the accident."

"So, that's it?! You're gonna give up on her, let her continue to live without being herself?" Chyler couldn't believe it. Mel would never give up on her beloved wife like that, she talks about her having fears but something is holding her from helping Katie. "Why do I feel like you're scared of her?"

Mel looked in her eyes, she was caught with a feeling that she didn't know she had. Yes, she was scared of her wife, scared that she remembered everything bad she's ever done, she knows Melissa's deepest regrets and fears until that Christmas three years ago. So yeah, Melissa was scared that she couldn't control the situation anymore, this Katie was a lot more feisty than the delicate girl she was seeing for a few weeks.

"I guess so." she shrugged.

"Why?"

"I'm scared that she won't let me in like the new Katie was."

"Of course she will, she remembers you as her wife, she loves you."

"Listen, we never told this to anyone, literally, but I feel like we can't run from it anymore." Chyler nodded like she was ready to listen to whatever. "When the accident happened, we weren't in our best moments. A few months before, I was feeling so alone and left out because Katie was never home and never had time for me, and we both noticed something was wrong. So, one day she got home crying and told me that she wanted a baby and that was going to make our relationship better, I didn't want a baby but I didn't tell her that. I agreed with it but I was so unhappy with my life, work was killing me, Katie pretended like I was her roommate, and now we were trying for a baby. I- made a mistake. I don't know what was my purpose if I wanted to hurt Katie, or to feel something again, or blame myself for everything. Seriously, I don't know what was going through my head-" Mel was trying so much to tell the story without breaking in tears or scare Chyler.