Chapter Twenty Two

...

After a long trip back to New York in heavy rain, Melissa finally parks in front of her old house. She looks beside her and sees a sleeping Katie, with her mouth open and her head on the seatbelt like a pillow. She smiles at the beautiful scene and uses her hand to slightly press against her wife's thigh waking her up. She looks around with a desperate look on her face.

"Where are we?"

"Calm down, we just got to New York, you're home." Mel assures her and she takes a deep breath.

"Guess what I was dreaming?" she massages her temples trying to get rid of her headache.

"Rainbows and marshmallows!" Mel kids and Katie lets out a small laugh but quickly get serious.

"No. It was that fight again." she says, frustated.

"Well, I don't get why you keep dreaming about this!" Mel say loosing patience that they were still talking about this subject. It hurt every fiber of her body to lie to her clueless wife like that.

Katie didn't even heard what she said because she was too focused on the rain pouring outside. "When did it start raining?" her body tensed up.

"What do you mean? It started when we hit the road." Mel thought it was strange that Katie didn't remember it. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, sorry. Let's go in!" her mood changed completely as she unbelted her seatbelt.

"Oh, no, I have to work tomorrow morning."

"No!" her scream scared Mel. "You can't drive in this rain." she grabbed her wife's hand. Mel saw fear in her eyes.

"Why not? I drove all the way here and you didn't seem to bother."

"Please, just this time. I won't be able to sleep." Katie begged. Mel was overwhelmed by this reaction but she couldn't deny that she missed Katie caring for her.

"Ok. But I have to leave very soon tomorrow."

Katie nodded and they got ready to leave the car, Mel parked a little closer to the house. They grabbed their stuff from the back seat, Mel left her suitcase inside since she would be leaving in the morning.

"You know, I've never felt the rain like this." Katie said as she was spinning in the middle of the yard, being soaking wet from the pouring rain.

"Katherine! Get inside, you're gonna get sick." Mel said trying to cover herself with her sweater.

"Come on Mel! Stop being so old, join me!" Katie went to her wife who was taking cover on the porch of the house and grabbed her hand pulling her onto the rain.

"Stop it! I have to work tomorrow, this is not funny Katherine!"

"Stop calling me that! You know how much I hate it!" Katie said so naturally that Melissa didn't even noticed it was a memory she just had. "I just want to have fun with you, please." she pouted, which made Mel give in.

"But only for a little bit." She smiled seeing how happy her wife was with the rain.

Not for one second she thought it was weird that just a few minutes ago Katie seemed terrified of the rain. In reality, nothing worried Mel too much when she was with Katie, not even her lies. She felt home, like she was finally found again, she had the love of her life and she couldn't ask for anything else.

"Can you feel it?" Katie asked as she put her arms around her wife's waist. This caught Mel's surprise as the brunette would never initiate physical contact or even allow it to happen so naturally.