Chapter Five

"Nicole, who is Melissa?" Katie asked confused.

"Ahm, she was someone special to you." Nicole held her sister's hand and she could feel the weight of that person. "We'll talk about her later." Nicole looked around and everyone agreed.

They all knew it was something delicate to talk about.

"Hey, I made your favorite!" Jonas said getting up and heading to the kitchen. "Come check it out!"

Katie looked at Nicole for reassurance and she nodded her head, the older one got up and followed her brother to the kitchen. She noticed how the kitchen was full of gadgets and different machines, David didn't have half of it, they would always eat out. She saw him taking a big plate of some yellow thing from the oven.

"What is it?"

"What do you mean? It's macaroni and cheese, you used to love it! You still like it, right?!" He asked putting the meal on the counter top. Katie shook her head.

"I don't like to try new foods, so I've never tasted it."

"Wasn't everything new to you at one point?" He asked grabbing the plates from the cupboard and passing to her.

"Yes, but the nurses would force me eat some things." She placed the plates around the island counter top that was also a table.

"And now you don't like those things?" He asked opening the fridge and taking out a bottle of wine.

"Now I only like those things, I couldn't get myself to try other things." she answered looking carefully to the bottle.

"You're weird." He said laughing. He went around pouring wine in everyone's glass but before he finished Katie stopped him.

"I can't drink alcohol." he stopped and looked at her confused.

"Why not?"

"It doesn't go well with my meds."

"You take meds for those tics?" He asked straightfoward. Katie noticed he wasn't scared to ask her anything and she liked it, she wanted to answer everyone's question and also get to know herself but no one would ask her too much.

"No." she giggled. "There's no meds for that, you just deal with it. I take meds for seizures, amnesia and also painkillers sometimes."

"Why painkillers?"

"When you break almost every bone in your body, things hurt." Katie answered and he made a face like he didn't like what he heard.

"But it's a miracle you're alive and normal." he finished to set the table and went over to hug her again, he was much taller than her so he would basically hug her head. "I missed you a lot and I know that if you remembered me you would have missed me too."

"I'm sure I would." Katie broke the hug when she saw her parents and Nicole coming over.

"So, do you wanna try my mac n' cheese? I promise you it's pretty good."

Katie bit her lip nervous. "Why not?"

"That's the spirit!" he put his hand up and high fived it. They both laughed.

They all sat down at the table, Katie next to Jonas who was on the head of the table and Nicole on her other side, and their parents in front of the girls.

"Eat up, guys. Katie, do you want water?" Jonas asked getting her glass already, she nodded.

Nicole put herself some food and did the same for Katie.

"This is amazing, son!" Paul said congratulating his son. "How is college going?" he asked looking at both twins.

"Pretty good, actually, it is easier than I thought." Jonas answered.