Chapter Seventeen

Katie stood up in front of the apartment door with her heart beating out of her chest. She tried to control her breathing but this was too nerve-wracking for her to be calm. Her mom put one hand on her shoulder to show support. She, slowly,  press the ring button and a loud noise scared her. She stepped back not wanting to be in the blonde's face when she opened the door.

It took a little bit more than she expected, she nervously bit her lip while waiting for the door to open. In the last moment, she looked at her mother with a sadness in her look. Mary was leading her to the exit when they heard the key turn on the door and they turned around to see Melissa with her hair in a bun, her eyes sore from either not sleeping or sleeping too much. She had a white robe on and Katie could tell there wasn't much clothing behind the silky fabric.

"Katie?" She asked in confusion. "Did something happen?"

When Katie opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out, her mother stepped in. "She wanted to talk to you, we were hoping you had some time before another shift?"

"Yeah, I just got out of a 48h one, I have three days to talk." she said and giggled.

"I'm sorry to wake you, you must be exhausted. Mom, let's go." Katie said it so fast that Melissa didn't understand.

"Do you want to come in? We can talk while I make breakfast." she looked at Katie's mouth being devoured by the girl's teeth. She noticed Katie was nervous, so this must be serious; Mel had kind of forgotten they had a fall out.

"Yeah, I'll get going to the store and I'll come to get you when you call, okay?" Mary let Katie know, kissed her cheek and quickly headed out the building so her daughter wouldn't have time to argue.

"Come." Mel opened the door and stepped out of the way so the brunette could walk in. As soon as she did, Melissa closed the door. "Can you just wait for me to get dressed and ready? Do you prefer to wait here or in my room?"

Katie couldn't really answer this question, she wasn't good with decisions. And also, she didn't want to invade Mel's privacy, but she truly wanted to see her room. She just nodded.

"Okay, my room it is." She started walking and Katie followed. She had come inside Mel's room once, when she was hiding, but the light was off and she didn't pay attention to much detail. "Just sit and be comfortable, it'll only take a minute." She did grabbing a pair of clothed that was on her bed and heading to the bathroom.

"Did you even sleep at all?" Katie asked looking at her nursing uniform that was still hanging on a chair like they had just been put there.

"I mean, a couple of hours." she answered from the bathroom. "But don't feel guilty about waking me up, I sleep terribly, I would've waken up anyway."

"Why do you sleep terribly?" Katie asked in curiosity and worry. Melissa got out of the bathroom with a toothbrush inside her mouth.

"Work." She said and went back to the bathroom to wash her mouth. "The hours are so crazy that I don't have a schedule, so my head gets a bit confused."

Katie arched her eyebrows understanding what she meant.

"For how long have you been a nurse?"

"I graduated the year we got married, worked for another year and then stopped when I got pregnant, and then started again after the accident." she counted the years with her fingers. "So, almost four years."

"I don't like nurses." Katie said bluntly. Melissa came out of the bathroom and looked at her, surprised.

"Why not? We are the most loved professionals there is, we get puked on almost everyday."