Chapter Sixteen

From the last two days Katie spent reading the rest of Melissa's journal she felt like she knew the girl's past from back to back but didn't quite know the girl herself. Since the way Mel talked to her, Katie put on her mind that she wasn't the girl in those journals, she had changed tremendously and didn't seem so sweet and caring anymore. Maybe Katie was exaggerating but she was hurt and it would take a lot for Mel to gain her trust back.

"Are you still reading this, Katie?" Her mom asked while entering the room with her washed clothes. "It's dinner time and you haven't come out of your room the whole day. I'm giving these to Melissa tomorrow."

She said after realizing that her words wouldn't change Katie's mind so she began picking the box of journals beside Katie's bed. That immediately made the girl get up from her bed and follow her mother.

"No! What are you doing?"

"A favor to you." She turned back and from a moment of distraction she grabbed the last journal that was on Katie's hand. "Thank you."

"Mom, stop! I need those, they are the only thing left of Mel." Katie argued following her mom down the stairs.

"Mel is out there, go ask her for stories." Mary said putting the journals inside a drawer in the living room and locking it with a key.

"Says the person who didn't want me to meet her!" Katie crossed her arms giving up to get the journals.

"Well, now that you've met, I can't see a problem for you to hang out."

"She doesn't want to see me, is that a good enough problem?" Katie admitted for the first time.

There was silence.

"Why not?" Her mother's expression changed to worried.

"I mentioned the baby and she got upset." Katie had a pout on her lips.

"Oh, she'll come around, she just needs a little time for herself." Mary hugged her daughter's shoulder leading her to the couch, they sat side by side.

"How do you know?" Katie looked at her mother.

"Because I was there when she lost the baby, she was a mess, Katie. I couldn't sleep at night thinking that I would wake up and she'd have killed herself." Mary got emotional and Katie felt her heart ache. "She tried a few times but... she couldn't do it to you. One night, I remember going to the kitchen, this one," she pointed to there kitchen "to grab a cup of water and I found her holding a knife to her stomach, I guess trying to find the courage to do it. She was whispering that she let you down and she wasn't deserving to live anymore. I mean, I was so tired of it already, she had gone to the hospital three times that same month from inhaling pills, I seriously told her to do it." Mary closed her eyes remembering the scene, she regretted those words forever. "If you want to die so bad, then do it, I screamed at her, she was so shocked that I didn't try to stop her that she dropped the knife. Your father heard us and held her down so she wouldn't try it again."

"Why did you tell her that?" She asked angry.

"I don't know, Katie, maybe I was being selfish, or maybe I was trying to prove to her that she didn't have the guts to do it."

"And why are you telling me all of this now? Why not before I ever mentioned it to her?"

"You two should talk about this, it's not fair for her to leave you in the dark, but there are some things she won't tell you because she's still ashamed of it so I'm telling you."

"Thank you." Katie briefly hugged her mom.

Mary got up and headed to the kitchen, Katie imagined she would be going to make dinner. But the talk she just had with her mother left her thinking about Mel and the reasons why she acted like that the other day.