Chapter Twenty Three

...

Melissa woke up dizzy, she looked around to see a couple doctors drinking coffee together, she realised she had slept in the doctor's lounge sofa. She sat up and felt hands on her back supporting her. She looked back to see her good friend Gabriela.

"Go back to sleep, you still have four more hours until your shift starts."

"No, I have to stay with Katie."

"She's in ICU, there's people with her all the time, just stay here and rest." the latina helped Mel to lay her head on her lap again, caressing her hair so that she could sleep.

...

This time, Mel woke up a lot more faster when she heard Gabriela's pager go off like crazy, she got up just in time to see the girl leave the lounge room. Mel looked at her phone,4:30. Great, thirty minutes for her shift, time enough to take a shower.

She did just that, after going to the nurse's station and grabbing her clothes from there.

After she was all cleaned up and ready to work, she put her I'd patch on her collar and left going straight to the ICU to take a look at Katie. Turns out Gabriela and her team were working just beside Katie's room and they needed more people, she jumped into action right away.

"Wow, that guy was in bad shape." Mel commented taking of her gloves and throwing them away.

"I know, but not everything turns out bad." Her friend said.

They both stopped at Katie's bed. "Hey babe, I'm right here, okay? I'll be working but I'll be close to you all day."

"Your love is beautiful." Gab said.

"Thanks Gab, you know how much it cost me to lose her, I'm not paying that price again."

"I understand you, but as a nurse don't you think you should be more aware about her possibilities?"

"What are you trying to say?" Mel asked confused.

"That I've tried so hard to find solutions or answers for all of this. But everything tells me that there's no way she could wake up without her brain being more damaged."

"No way Sherlock, did you find that on your own or did you use Google?" Melissa said sarcastically making her friend roll her eyes.

"I'm serious Benoist, I'm talking about serious damages here, like the lost of her hearing or talk, memory loss or dementia." Hearing those things made Mel wanna puke.

"She's been through all of that, she'll surprise you with her outcome, you'll see."

"She's surprising me right now by not being dead!" she pointed to the unconscious girl.

"Can you stop being so negative? Damn it, Gabriela!" Mel screamed so her friend would stop talking about her wife like that.

"I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic with you!" Gabriela defended herself. "I just don't want you to get hurt if something bad happens and you're prepared for it." she touched her friend's hand.

"What about 'not everything turns out bad'?"

"I really hope she can get through this, as your friend, I really do. But I'm giving you my doctor's opinion."

"Well, I don't wanna hear it!"

"Okay, okay, I won't talk about it anymore, I'm sorry." she tried to hug her friend but she just walked passed her. "Benoist, come on! You're with me today!" the blonde stopped on her way and turned around.