Dwayne Robertson

Dwayne lived for hockey and the ranch life, he adored his farm life a lot. I knew that because he talked about it all the time. I'm his best friend, we've been best friends since we met in Freshmen year biology. It was a race between he and I in class our second week in school when the topic of animals came up. I happen to be a farm girl, too. I'm on the riding team. I don't exactly do tricks with horses and such, I prefer to ride and race them.

The weather was colder than normal and I was bundled up tightly, walking around outside, my rubber boots getting stuck in the thick mud that I purposely walked in. There wasn't many people around, it was the weekend, school was done. I'm supposed to be meeting up with Dwayne, but it didn't seem like I would be meeting him anytime soon as I found myself stuck in the mud. 

The school had a few acres on it's own, so people driving by would not see me from how far we were. We needed land for the stables and track; for horses and runners. The school was also rather huge, along with the dorm building too.

After about twenty minutes, I could see someone walking outside. A cowboy hat distinguished that person from everyone else and I knew it as Dwayne. My black cowboy hat was on my head, my brown hair down, blowing in the wind. Dwayne's boots clicked against the ground as he walked over and I felt a little embarrassed, being a farm girl and getting stuck in the mud. 

Dwayne snickered a laugh, bringing his hands to hips as he walked over. "Whatcha gotten yourself into, May-Belle?"

I turned to look at him. "The mud, that's what." I told him. "Now, help me out, would ya?" 

He laughs. "For a farm girl, you've gotcha self pretty stuck."

"I can see that. My boots are in deep and I'm embarrassed."

"Why?" He asked, walking over and lowered, grabbing the top of my boots as I brought a hand to his back for balance. He tugged on my boot, getting a little dirty, but couldn't seem to make it budge.

Everyone said Dwayne and I were meant for each other, but I didn't see it. Besides, even though I have this massive crush on him, I couldn't bare to bring myself to tell him. I knew how things could be if we got together, then broke up. There isn't usually a friendship after a break up and we were such good friends, that I wanted to be best friends with benefits, not boyfriend/girlfriend. I never knew how Dwayne felt about me, I never asked, but his teammates always teased up, but I never believe them.

"What'd ya do?" He asked, standing up in a sweat. "You're stuck good."

"Thanks, Cowboy, I didn't know." I spoke sarcastically.

"A shovel. Imma go get a shovel."

"No." I told him. "You're gonna take too long. Come 'ere." He walked over to me, without stepping in the mud and I brought my arms around him. He pulled my feet out from my boots and placed me on the half dry sidewalk. The mud being there because it was wet, but from so many other people stepping in it as well.

Dwayne lowered and stepped one foot into the mud, grabbing one of my boots and yanked on it. I tried getting the other, but it didn't end too well. He flung mud on me when he finally pried the boot out of the mud. I gasped, standing up with mud on my flannel and my face. "I just showed." I spoke, picking up a handful of mud to throw at him.

"Hey!" He hollered. "This shirt's new."

"So was mine." I retorted, he threw more mud at me and it splatted across my face. I took my hat off. Oh, yeah, it came to that point! And he took his hat off too, following me and we both grabbed mud. I ran at him and smashed it into his face and he laughed, smearing it all over the front of my shirt. "Dwayne!"

"Ha!" He laughed, smearing some more onto me. My black hands grabbed some more and I smacked his face on accident, not trying to hit him so hard.

"I'm sorry." I gasped. "I didn't mean to."

He threw at handful at my collar and I fell back into the grass, he laughed when I grabbed his shirt and pulled him down. His arms found their way around my waist and he pulled on top of him. Then, I found myself under him, lying on the grass with him above me. The situation quickly became awkward. We were both covered in mud, but this was a new feeling and my diar feelings for him were really showing up now. 

His lips found their way to mine, his push up form lowering when he lied on me. When he pulled away, his muscles brought him back to the first position of a push up and I stared at him. "What was that for?" I asked him, kinda harshly.

"I thought it was the right thing to do." He said. "I know you like me."

My eyes widen and my face flusters a deep red. "What?" I gasp. "Who told you?"

"The girls." He shrugged. "Don't worry, if I didn't like you, I wouldn't of done what I did."

"Dwayne," I started and sat up, perching myself up with my elbows dug into the grass. Our faces and upper bodies covered in mud, I shook my head. "I can't do this with you. Not now, not ever."

"What do ya mean?"

"I mean, we're good friends, but what if we got into a fight. A big enough one that we couldn't be friends again? I don't want to lose my best friend."

He stood up, extending his hand for me to take and I did. I was up within seconds because of his force. Bringing a piece of my hair behind my ear, he shrugged,  not caring about what I just said. "We're best friends, we don't fight, so why would we break up if we got together?"

"It's just a fear. I don't want to risk our friendship."

"Belle, believe me, you know I wouldn't hurt a horse, so why would I hurt you."

She laughed, he spoke the expression wrong, but it was his way. She smiled lightly and nodded, trusting him on this. "Okay...Now, help me get my boot out."

"Let's do this."