Chapter 22 ~ Goodbyes

Levi's POV

I sat with my hands clasped as the speaker went on and on about how fragile life is and such. I don't know. I involuntarily drowned it all out. I held Luna's hand as she sniffled softly beside me. I wish I could have been there... At least she made it through most of the holidays.

"Levi." I never knew when my last moment would be with her- "Levi." I blinked and snapped out of my thoughts. Looking around I saw Erwin in front of me and everyone in the building staring at me. "It's time to go." He whispered.

"Right." I straightened my suit and led the way out of the chapel. The freezing air immediately hit my face and encased my body. I insisted on driving myself and Luna to the gravesite. I'd be fine.

It wasn't too long of a drive, but I was dreading it. I mean, who wouldn't be? By the time we got there, everything was already set up. I held back my tears until I would be alone.

The funeral services slowly brought the pure white casket out of the hearse as the speaker said a few words. Soon after, everybody gave their condolences before leaving.

Luna and I stayed put as they carefully lowered the casket into the ground. When they started putting the dirt back in the hole, I decided it was time to go.

I opened the car door for Luna as I looked back at the gravesite one more time. Set off to the side was the gravestone that was prepared a long time ago.

'Kuchel Ackerman'