chapter five ◖ regret

"Pony!" We both yell out, we had followed Pony to the lot but we lost him again. I suggested a few spots but none worked. "Let's just go back, I'm starting to get tired." I tell Dally, he nods his head and we drive around. I stare out the window wondering how long it'll take me to go back home.

A couple of days? Maybe even a week?

I'm just getting ahead of myself.

I don't like it when Darry yells at us, mostly Ponyboy. He's only 14 yet he's going through so much for his age. "Stop!" I tell Dally, I look over at the park a fights happening. "It's Johnny!" I tell Dally, right when I said his name Dally unlocks the door, hops over the hood of the car and runs to the park. I'm right behind him during the chase.

"Hey!" Dally's deep voice booms, the socs turn to look at Dally. His hands are out and open. "What you think you're doing to the kid?" He ask, looking at Ponyboy. I run over to Johnny, he takes my hand and holds it. "(Y/n), I swear I was gonna pull a blade on them! Th-they were gonna k-kill him!" Johnny's voice shakes, he goes through too much as well at a young age. "It's alright, were here now." I hold him, I can here the sound of skin to skin contact as Dally- most likely - is kicking their ass.

"C'mon let's get you in the car." I tell Johnny, he nods his head and gets up. I take him to the car, but than I hear an ear piercing scream come from one of the boys. I quickly turn around and run, the socs are already in their car and driving off.

As if in slow motion, Dally holds his shoulder and falls to his knees and later on his back. "Dal!" I yell for him, his eyes are very dull. His actions become more slow. "Fuck Dal, don't think about dying on me. Pony! Are you okay?" I turn to look at Pony, he's soaking wet and passed out. Johnny is already there, must've hopped out the car. "Take Pony, I'll get Dally!" Johnny hurries and picks up Pony, taking him to the car and putting him in the backseat.

"C'mon Dally, it's not bed time yet!" I tell him, tears rushing down my face. He moves his uninjured arm and wipes some tears. "Im not dying yet.. not yet doll." I smile at those words, tears fall on his face. I take my jacket off and put it on his wound. "Gosh, you're ugly when you cry." I laugh, slightly wacking his head. "You still got it in you." He grins and winks at me, I hoist him up and hold onto his uninjured arm. "You got a cancer stick?" I sigh, "No Dal, quit messing around." He rolls his eyes and I set him in the passenger seat.

"Do you even know how to drive?" He ask, I bite my lip. "Nope! But it seems pretty easy." I start the car and step to hard on the peddle, we speed off. "Jesus! (Y/n) you're gonna kill us!" Johnny holds onto the seat tightly.

..... .... . . .

"Pony, you feeling better?" I ask him for the ninth time, he nods his head. "Just shaken up." I lick my chapped lips and nod my head. "Johnny, you okay?" I ask him, he fiddles with his fingers. "I'm alright, thankful you and Dal made it on time. I-i probably would've killed that soc!" He rambles on about how he hates labels and fights.

"Everything is tough, it may be different scenarios but no matter what we all strugglin' with something." I lay my head on Pony. "Pain isn't permanent." He tells me, I smile at the fact he remember that. Johnny does a couple of sniffs, he must be crying. Johnny can be a sensitive, quiet but mature kid but he does have a wild side. You just gotta get to know him.

Dally's stretcher rolls past us, his arm is all wrapped up and his shirt is off. "Don't pull another stunt like that or I promise you it won't be pretty." He threatens Johnny and Pony. Once he past me he winks and tries to grab my hand but misses as the nurses roll him away. "Hey, I was tryna do somethin'." He complains to the nurse. The nurse ignored him and continues walking at her normal pace. Now she's stuck with an annoyed Dallas Winston.

"Pony... (Y/n)..?" The one and only Sodapop Curtis ask, Pony doesn't think and gets right on his feet for a hug. I smile at the sight, I'm glad he gets along nicely with Soda. Darry on the to her hand, he can be rough with Pony but he's only trying to look out for him.

"(Y/n).." Johnny's voice comes out Inna whisper, I look over at him. He's staring at the ground, "What's up?" I ask him, he takes his courage and looks me in the eye. "What's it like to be in love?" I'm shocked at the question, I raise an eyebrow. "Why'd you think I'd know?" I ask him, he smiles. "Cause Dally totally digs you." I laugh and lean my head on the wall, "He's only playin' with me. Ever since his last girl, I doubt he'd wanna be with me." I sigh, take a cigarette out and making my way outside.

The cold air bites my bare arms. My jackets all bloodly because of Dally, I take it off; not being able to stand the scent of blood. "You need to stop smokin' kid." Soda comes up from behind me. I'm not fazed by it, he would always do that when we were kids. Im ready to take another hit of my cigarette but Soda grabs it out of my hand and throws it on the ground, stomping aggressively. "Listen (Y/n)..."

"I don't wanna hear it, Soda. Not right now at least. " I bluntly state, he sighs and puts his jacket on me. "Don't catch a cold." He ruffles my hair, leaving it a mess. Hes about to go inside but I stop him, "Soda.." He turns around to look at me. "What girly?" He ask, I smile and watch the stars shine. "I think I'm in love." I whisper to him, he looks at the ground and shakes his head. "Listen (Y/n), I don't want to see you in pain again. He's not the greatest but-"

"If he hurts me so what, at least I had an experience." I tell Soda with full honesty. I might be in love with the boy who always wants to pick a fight with others, a boy who just got out of the cooler a while ago, a boy who's been my number one for a while.

A boy named Dallas Winston.

Yep, that's him. The one and only,

cold hearted hood.