chapter twelve ◖ sooner or later

I must've spilled the beans when I was "tipsy" I say, yeah no I was definitely drunk. The pounding hangover explains greatly, I barely got up this morning for school. "Bub, you gotta wake up." Darry tells me softly, sliding my blanket off me and folding it. "Why..." I keep my eyes closed, afraid of the light that will literally blind me soon. "You got school, c'mon now." I sit up straight and slowly open my eyes, it's still somewhat dark so it doesn't take too long for my eyes to adjust.

"Mornin' Soda, Mornin' Pony." I smile lightly and brush my teeth, Soda comes out of the shower with a towel wrapped around his waist. Ponyboy and I continue brushing our teeth, I jab his side with my elbow and he does the same. We keep doing this until one of us spit out our toothpaste. I jab him in the stomach and he spits out the toothpaste everywhere in the sink, I laugh as some comes out of my mouth.

"Really (Y/n), I could've choked." I wipe my mouth and exit the bathroom, "You're fine." And with that we exit the house, waving goodbye to Soda and Darry and walk to school. "Two-bit not goin?" I ask, Ponyboy shakes his head. "He got really drunk last night, it was wild." He tells me, I nod my head and scoff. I can say the same thing, that's for sure.

We enter the school and walk to our lockers, parting ways with a good bye I open my locker and a note falls out. I pick it up and read it,

"Your Dally's new girl huh, he's really doing charity work now? Just Watch your back Greaser, cause trouble is coming your way.

And I have an idea on who I should start with. "

I crumple the letter and throw it in the trash, not really wanting any sorts of trouble today I slam my locker and make it to my first class. Of course not many other Greaser are in this class, and if there are any; they don't take a liking to me. Good thing is Two-bit is in this class, but since he isn't here today I'm left with nobody.

It's gonna be a long day.

....   ....   ...

"Hey Johnny, Hey Pony!" I wave at them as they wait by the sidewalk smoking. "Howdy (Y/n)." Johnny looks at me with his dark puppy dog eyes. "How you doin'?" I ask him, he hands me a weed and I take a hit it. "Someone told me a secret last night." I blow smoke into his face and chuckle lightly, a fun habit I picked up from Dally. "Dally's girl, you probably like that." Pony stays quiet as we continue talking about Dally and I.

"You know, sooner or later he's gonna hurt you." Pony says under his breath, I look at him; not tryna show my anger. "What'd you say?" I ask him, grabbing his jacket collar. He looks me in the eye and than to the side, as if he can feel the anger rising off my skin. "He's gonna hurt you! I'm just tryna help, have you seen his past relationships!" Ponyboy shakes in anger, Johnny grabs my hand and I let go of Pony. "Unbelievable.." I walk past him, shoving him as well. I keep my hands in my pocket, and walk quickly mumbling curse words.

"(Y/n) what's the matter?" Darry ask as I rush past him quickly and go in my room, grabbing Dally's jacket and throwing my back pack on the ground. "I'm leavin', I'll be back later." I quickly rush out the door before Darry ask anymore question, I see Pony walk to the porch and I make small eye contact at him. "I'm sorry, I just want the best for you (Y/n).." He apologizes, I roll my eyes. "Than this is the best for me, please respect that." He nods his head and goes inside, shutting the door lightly.

I walk around the streets slowly, they say it's not safe for us greasers to walk by themselves but I could care less at this moment. I go down to the store just to buy two cokes and a pack of cigarettes, of course I steal the cigarettes and stuff them in my pockets but I do buy the cokes; well not really.

"Is that all ma'am?" The young teenager ask me, I nod my head and send him a smile. His face turns bright red, "Are you okay?" I ask him kindly, he nods his head and rubs the back of his neck. "I just never seen someone as good lookin' as you.." I giggle at his comment; in all honesty I'm just tryna do this so he can give me my coke for free. "Thank you, you're so sweet." I go to hand him my money, but he denies it. "Since you're so pretty, it's on me." I give him a shocked expression and thank him.

"No prob-"

"That won't be necessary, you see I'm her boyfriend." Dally comes up from behind me, wrapping his arm around my neck and pulling me in for a kiss on the cheek. "I'm sorry, forgive me." The boy apologizes, Dally shakes his head. "No need to apologize, I'll let you off." The boy raises his eyebrows, thankful he's off the hook from the famous Dally Winston.

Dally smiles and walks away with me, "What are you gonna do?" I ask him, stopping by the door. He looks at me innocently, "Nothin' to big." He turns around and punches the kid in the nose, I cringe at the sound of his nose breaking. Dally walks away like its nothing, not forgetting to take two candy bars from the counter. "Have a good one kid." We leave the store, running away with laughter.

After an hour of messing around we finally settle down and look for a place to chill.

In fact, we sit at a new spot today, an open park with a small lake nearby. Other couples are there, sitting down and talking. We do the same, I grab a couple of rocks to skip. "Here, take it stupid." He hands me the candy bar he stole from the store. "Here you go, asshole." I pass him a coke, he gradually takes it and pops it open with a rock. He than skips the rock on the lake, one, two, three. Three skips, he gets. "Bet, I can beat that." I tell him confidently, he nods his head and hands me a rock.

"If you don't, I'll give you a kiss." He tells me, I stand up and throw the rock to the lake. Not even one skip, I smile and jump on him. I'm on top of him and he's underneath me, he wraps his arms around me and kisses me gently.

The once gentle kiss becomes more passionate by the second. My hands find my way to his hair, his lips leave mine and trail down my jaw, and neck. I can feel a hickey form, "Dal.. no." I whisper breathlessly, he smiles against my neck. "One more..?" I shake my head and lay next to him, under the stars.

I intertwine my hand with his and rest quietly on the soft grass, completely forgetting about lots of things that happened today. But Pony boys words stuck in my mind,

"You know, sooner or later he's gonna hurt you."

"Dally, do you think we'll last forever?" He doesn't say anything for a minute, thinking a lot about my question.

"If forever is a long time, than yeah I hope so." I take a deep breath and my nerves settling down slightly. "Me too." The relaxing noise of insects chirping and some water splashes here and there brings me to peace.

But the stars are my real peace, Ponyboy might dig sunsets but I dig the stars; and some sunsets. A shooting star passes by us, "Didja see that!" I cheer, the first time I've ever seen a shooting star. Dally's body is relaxed and slow, he's sleeping. I kiss his cheek and lay back down, cuddling next to him.

"i wish to stay with you forever."