chapter thirtytwo ◖ visit

October 9th, 8 years later.

"Uncle Soda!" My kids holds their homemade cards they wanted to give Sodapop as they run across the field.

The cemetery to be exact.

"Careful kids." I tell them, they slow down and walk closely next to me. I hold Pepsi's hand, we named him in memory of Soda. His birthday was a week ago, he turned 5. His little sister Ruby is exactly like her father, a little rebel she is. She holds Dallys hand and skips lightly. We stop in front of Sodapops grave.

"Happy birthday bro, say hi to mom and dad." I smile lightly and set down the cap from a coke bottle, we do that every year. "Happy birthday Uncle Soda." The kids say in unison, Dally pulls me into a side hug. "Happy birthday man." I look up at the sky, it's cloudy but I know the sun is shining brightly.

I know Sodapop, Mom and Dad are all looking at us with smiles. "Let's go kids." I tell them, Dally picks up Ruby and let's her climb onto his shoulders. I hold Pepsi to my chest, he holds onto my neck. "Mama.." He mumbles, I look down at him and push his brown hair out of his face. "What is it baby?"

"How did Uncle Soda die?" Dally looks at him than back at me, I look at Dally and nod my head. "He died like a hero." Is all I say, Pepsi's eyes widen and his cute smile shows his excitement. "Uncle Soda was a super hero!" He cheers, I chuckles and nod my head.

"He sure was bud."

..........

"Hey Darry." I greet him at the door, he smiled and looks at Dallys and I's kid. "I swear they get cuter everyday." I hand Darry Pepsi, he smiles and kisses his small nose. "Uncle Darry..." Pepsi whines, Dally let's Ruby down as she walks wobbly to Ponyboy and Cherry. "Hi Ruby!" Cherry smiles at her and picks her up, Ruby plays with her hair and giggles. "How old?" Cherry ask, I hold up three fingers she gasp and smiles. "She's adorable." She comments, I nod my head and smile.

"Where's Two-bit?" I ask, Darry points to the backyard. Since were all adults we left our old house and moved into bigger ones to start families. Dally and I were the first to have kids, which honestly didn't surprise anyone. "Hey ugly!" I yell out, Two-bit looks over by the door and smiles brightly. "Is that my grandma?" I flick him off and laugh, he runs over to me and gives me a huge hug. "It's been too long." He tells me I hear heavy footsteps come up from behind us.

"Dally.. Good to see ya." Dally nods his head as Two-bit breaks the hug. "Got any special lady?" I elbow him jokingly, "No she passed away unfortunately.." Two-bit lowers his head, I hold my laugh. "(Y/n)!" Dally elbows my side, I begin bursting into laughter as Two-bit follows behind. "Thats-thats messed up." Dally chuckles lightly, I walk around Darry house.

"(Y/n)?" I turn around and look at Johnny, he's gotten bigger. "Johnny! I've missed you so much!" He smiles and hugs me softly, his frailness will never leave him. He's still the lost puppy after High School too, I examine his face; his scar is still there. "Is that Johnny man!" Dally slings his arm over Johnny, they both smile brightly. I'll leave them to chat, I walk over to Steve on the couch. Steve left Oklahoma after Sodapops death but he decided it'd be best to stop hiding and come back to his old roots, and once Two-bit heard the news he told the whole gang and we invited him to a small reunion.

He gives me a sad look, "God he was so stupid." He mumbles and wipes his eyes. I understand why Steve still feels this pain, I mean they were the best of friends.

"It's okay Steve.. he's probably still thinking about cars up there." Steve chuckles lightly and looks over at Ponyboy and Cherry with Ruby. "She's adorable.." I smile and nod my head looking at my daughter play around with her Uncle and Aunt. "Have you meant Pepsi yet?" Steve's face expresses shock and happiness just from the name, "Pepsi.. like Pepsi-Cola?" I nod my head and smile sadly, "The one and only." "I'd love to meet him." I nod my head and get up walking over to Darry, Pepsi turns to look at me and holds his arms out.

"Mama! Mama!" I grab him out of Darry arm and whispers a small thank you, Darry shakes his head and smiles. I walk back to Steve, his jaw drops and I tell Pepsi to go say hello to Steve. "H-hi." Pepsi mumbles, I gently push him towards him. "This is Steve, he was best friends with Uncle Soda." Pepsi's face changes quick. "Can I ask you something?"

"You just did."

Pepsi's ignores his comment, "We're you and Uncle Soda both superheroes in uhm.. in uh.."

"Disguise." I finish his sentence.

Steve holds his smile and lifts Pepsi's up so he's sitting on his lap, "Can I tell you a secret." Pepsi nods his head eagerly, Steve whispers something in Pepsi's ear. Pepsi nods his head and acts as if he's zipped his mouth shut and threw the key. "What'd you tell him?" I ask, Steve was about to tell me but Pepsi jumps in quick.

"We made a promise that we wouldn't tell a soul!"

Promises.. not all promises last forever.

"I hope not, but I can promise you this.. you are not gonna lose another curtis family member."

He shouldn't of done that for us, even after his last words I want to forgive him it's just I can't. Or maybe I can't forgive myself, I was the one who dragged everyone into this mess.

And I couldn't even get everyone out.

That night was the worst night of my life,

and here's what happened that night...