chapter twentythree◖ trust

My head lays on his lap as he plays with my hair and rubs my hand, his eyes glued to the TV. "She asleep?" Steve ask quietly, I'm surprised he actually knows how to shut up. "I think." I'm really not, I just wanna be isolated. "She alright..?" He ask, a type of fear in his voice. "I don't know, man. She acts all tough but deep down she knows she aint."

He's not lying, I don't like pity from others. It happened in grade school at a young age, Soda and I were just messing around at the playground when a group of socs came up to us. Making fun of us, telling us how bad we had it, how poor we were, how gross we were. We didn't know how to fight back so we just took it, we took their words and their beating.

That's when we asked pops to teach us how to fight, even Darry helped us. Mom didn't like the idea, but she knew how rough it is out there and finally agreed. So, we learned and we fought a lot. After the passing of our parents we all coped in a different way, Ponyboy with his books, Soda and Darry with work and even fighting. I just wanted to feel loved, because everything seemed to be falling apart for me that day.

I was so vulnerable when he found me. He seemed so sweet and kind, his eyes were trusting and cozy. Like a warm cabin in the woods, me and him did everything together. When he asked me out I was so happy, we both we're happy. We were like Harley and Joker, I was more in love with him than he was. It was toxic but I was too late to notice.

We talked, we laughed, we held hands, we kissed, we did all of that couple stuff. Until one day he just snapped, he wasn't the same person he was before. His eyes weren't warm and cozy, they were instead icy cold and filled with hatred. He was taken to jail that night and I was left in the hospital. It was a month long investigation. Darry, Sodapop and Ponyboy were taken into questioning for what happened that day.

The day they almost found their sister dead. The police found out he wanted to murder the whole gang, because they were taking me away from him. Since his actions were so traumatizing he was taken to New York jail. Were I haven't seen him since but I still have vivid memories of us together.

I must've been so out of it I didn't even realize breakfast was ready, Dally shakes me slightly. "Hey doll, want me to get your food?" I nod my head and leave my mouth shut, he gets up and grabs some food for me. He sets the plate down and takes one of the forks he set down, "You gotta eat kid." I get up and grab the fork from his hand, eating some food. "When your done, I need to show you somethin'." He lights a cigarette and smokes besides me.

..... .............

After I'm done eating he takes me outside, it's sunny out but the air is crisp. "Where are we going?" He stops and goes behind me, covering my eyes with his hands. "Do you trust me?" I bite my lip not answering, he ask again. "Do you trust me?"

"Yes." I say, we start moving slowly. The ground beneath me changes from soft grass to hard gravel. "Dally?" I call out feeling his hands leave my face, I open my eyes slowly. The bright light from the sun makes it hard to see. "Baby?" I look around, he isn't by me. I'm at the bridge above the train tracks. I look down, that's a big drop.

"Shit!"

My heart stops as my body is lifted up and tilted to the edge of the bridge, as if I'm about to be thrown. I feel Dally's hand trail down my sides as he picks me up and sets me down. I sink down, taking a minute to regain my breath. He sits down next to me, "See you trusted me." He stretches his arm out and pulls me into his chest, I sit on his lap and breath slowly. "But you-"

"As long as you can trust me, you're going to safe. I'll never let anyone hurt you, you don't need to worry anymore." We sit there, his words dig deeper into my head. Trusting someone is hard, but loving someone is harder. If I already love him enough, than I should trust him. "I trust you." He plays with my hand, "Good. Now let's get goin'." We stand up, dusting out clothes off from the grainy ground.

"Let's go home." He intertwines our fingers together.

............

AT THE CURTIS HOUSE

We walk inside, it seems like everyone is here. And I mean everyone, Two-bit, Steve, Blaze, Darry, Soda pop, Johnny, Ponyboy, Dally and I. I sit down on the couch, Blaze quickly makes his way towards me. "Yo (Y/n).. ah how've you been?" He sends his side grin, his teeth remind me of a vampire. "I've been alright, how's your mom?" He takes a deep breath in, "She could be better. Maybe we can go see her later?" I nod my head and smile, "I'd like that." "I bet she'd like that too." Dally comes over to sit next to me, but his only intention is to show Blaze who's boss. Dally pulls me into his lap, wrapping his arms around me protectively.

Awkward silence.

Blaze claps his hands, "I'll see you later (Y/n)." He sends finger guns towards me and goes to talk to Two-bit. "What'd he want?" Dally ask, the heat from his breath sends shivers down my back as it dances on my neck. "Just wondering if I wanted to see his mom at the hospital." He nods his head and smacks his lips, "Better not be a trick." I roll my eyes, "Dal, you really think I'd do that to you." He shakes his head coldly.

"Yeah, and you better not do it to me." He chuckles lightly in my ear. "I'd Never." I roll my eyes and sit up, making sure I can tease him. He tenses up, "Whatever you say Mr.Playboy." His breath comes out shaky and hands climb up to my chest, I chuckle and move them back to my waist. "Not today." I get up slowly, he smirks behind me and smacks my butt.

"maybe another time kitten."