chapter seventeen ◖ blaze watts

if nobody told you that they care about you today, i do. keep staying strong :)

"27 doesn't make any sense though, what could it mean?" I ask Ponyboy, it's 9 pm and I'm still on about this. "I don't know, maybe it's a date?" I jump out of my seat, and give him a big kiss on the head. He slaps my arm, "You're a genius!" I skip around the house, grabbing a coke from the fridge. I hand him one and pop the cap off, excited that this clue could lead to answers!

"How'd you get so smart?" I ask him, he gives me a stupid look. "What're talkin' about?" I hold in a laugh, I slouch in my chair and sip the Coke. "Remember when you were younger and you found a rock and thought it was a turtle so you-" Ponyboy slaps me, a laugh aloud and Darry walks in chuckling.

"He started cryin' because he thought it dried up in the sun and you made us throw it into the lake." Darry finishes my sentence, now it's Soda's turn to enter the room and laugh. He puts Ponyboy into an armlock, "You were so innocent back than!" I smile, it feels good to finally connect with everyone. "Yo guys, wanna watch a movie?" I grin, we all look at each other and nod our heads.

We all ended up falling asleep either on the couch or ground.

...  ...   ...

"Wake up! You're gonna be late, again!" Soda picks up my feet and starts wiggling me around like a snake. "Stoppp." I rub my eyes and stretch, my back cracking a couple of times. Soda drops my legs and gives me a disgusted look. I flick him off.

I grab some chocolate milk and go upstairs to get my clothes, I really didnt wanna go to school today. After getting dressed and eating some breakfast Ponyboy and I start walking to school. "You doin' track next year?" I ask him, he nods his head tiredly. I don't say anything else and enjoy the foggy day.

We part ways once we enter the school building. I walk to my locker hopping that a note won't fall out. Someone grabs my shoulders, "Hey (Y/n)." I turn around and punch whoever whispered in my ear. "Oh shit! I'm so sorry, Blaze!" He chuckles and wipes the blood off his lip, "It's alrigh'." I help him up, he fixes his jacket and dusts off his pants. "Damn you got an arm!" He tells me I smile and grab my folders.

"Why are you back?" His once happy expression falls, "Old man died, Ma ain't doing too good either." I feel bad for him, he was very close with his family. "How'd he-"

"Shot." I nod my head and shut up, he moved to New York because his uncle was murdered and his dad- who was an officer- was the first one called. He must've been shot during duty, "Can we visit your mom soon?" I ask him, he smiles and nods his head. "She'd like that, she never stops talkin' about you." I smile at that, Blaze and I have been best friends since elementary school.

I was getting picked on and he had helped me, "How's the gang doin?" He ask, excitement in his voice; he must miss the gang a lot. "We're alright, some stuff is happening. Maybe you can stop by when school ends." I tell him, he smiles and we part ways he has to go get his schedule.

"Who was that?" Two-bit ask me, his voice unsure. "Blaze, he's back." Two-bit jumps up and down and smiles hugely, Blaze was always a brother to him. "Ah, he has to meet the gang!" He cheers, I nod my head and smile.

Than I forgot, he's never meant Dally. "What about Dally?" I ask him, Two-bit quits messing around and looks at me in a serious way. "He'll be jealous at first, but he should understand." I bite my lip, Dally can become very defensive for the people he care about. "Alright, I'll catch you next period." I wave him goodbye and walk to first period.

....   ....   ....

It's finally lunch time, that means we all can sit with each other. Hopefully Johnny and Ponyboy remember him like Two-bit did. I get my lunch and sit down next to Johnny, he eats slow. "Hey (Y/n)." His puppy dog eyes move from my face to his food, "Heya Johnnycakes, you doing good?" I ask him, now Ponyboy and Two-bit sit down. "Where is he?" He ask, his eyes filled with happiness- but when aren't they. "Who?" Ponyboy ask, confused out of his mind.

"Blaze!" Two-bit yells, Blaze sits next to him they do their handshake. I'm surprised they still remember is after all these years. I look over and Johnny is smiling quietly and Ponyboy is still confused. "Blaze Watts?" He ask this time, I nod my head and smile gently. "The one and only kid, hows Soda been?" Blaze props his feet up, taking a bite out of his food. "He's workin' at the DX with Steve, we all still live together."

"That's good, Darry go to college?" He ask, I bite my lip and give him the look. He nods his head understandly, "So.. Anything happen when I was gone?" He ask subtly, I wonder if I should tell him about Dally I probably should so-

"(Y/n) has a boyfriend."

Blaze licks his lips and scrunched his nose, a habit he's had when he was younger for his anger. I look at my food, "Who." His question sounds more like a statement, "Dallas Winston." I whisper, he takes his feet off the table and sits up throwing out his food. "Who's that?" His voice doesn't sound so innocent.. but he just got here so he doesn't know anyone besides most of the gang. "You'll meet him later." I tell him, the tension is strong you can tell by how quiet Two-bit is.

Ring Ring Ring.

Thank God for the bell sometimes.

....   ....   ....

The school day is over, I go to my locker and drop everything off. Not one single note today so that's good, "You gettin' picked up again?" Ponyboy ask, I jump from shock. "Jesus Ponyboy don't sneak up on me, but yeah why?" He chuckles, "Well I was just wondering, see ya when I get home." I wave him goodbye and shut my locker, exiting the school I can see Dally in the car a happy expression on his face once he sees me.

"Didja miss me?" I ask him, getting inside the care he pulls me in for a kiss. "A whole lot, maybe I should go to school." I shake my head and smile, I never really payed attention on how much of an accent he has; not complaining though.

"Let's go home because someone is comin' over." I tell him, he puts my seatbelt on for me. "Who?" He ask, a slight change in his voice. "Blaze, an old friend." He starts the car and drives off, "Blaze Watts by any chance?" A confused expression is left on my face, "You know him?" Dally scoffs and grips the steering wheel.

"yeah i know him."