8. Assessment

Peter learned the basics of ballet rather quickly. Once he knew the names that are attached to certain poses and moves, he could pretty much just follow along. His main focus is currently the aesthetic part. He does what he has to do, but – as Daphne called it – he needs to do it prettier. In the second private class he had from Daphne, she taught him how to prepare for a pirouette. She told him the difference between a pirouette en dedans and a pirouette en dehors and how he can make his momentum work in his favour. That night he couldn't stop feeling a weird, intense tingling sensation where her hands had touched his hips, to position him correctly. He tried everything, from laying on his stomach to trying to aggressively rub a wash cloth over his hip bones. But the moment he let go of his hips he could feel her hold on him again. He eventually resorted to laying on his back with his hands on his hips. It felt like it looked idiotic, but at least he was able to fall asleep that way.

He still didn't know her favorite flower. He couldn't exactly just walk up to her and ask. That'd be weird, right? Peter didn't want to give the flower to her openly, as he still had the deal with Madame Touha. He also figured leaving the flower anonymously with her stuff while she isn't looking, wouldn't exactly get the right response with the stalker still walking around. Peter will do the flowers later. She let slip that she really likes Twizzlers, so Peter brought a packet to their third private class together for them to share. Who says the stomach's the way to only a man's heart? Peter told her to keep the leftovers and she promised him she'd bring something he'd like the next time. He didn't recall ever telling her anything about what he liked to eat, so he was rather curious about what kind of surprise she'd bring.

"Peter." Madame Touha appears in the door during a small break of the class. "Can you stick around a little longer so I can do an assessment of your development?"
"Yeah, that's okay!" Peter had just sat down to take a sip from his water bottle. He wiggles his legs to keep them warm. Peter hates to admit that he's nervous. What would she do with the outcome of the assessment? If he's not good enough, will she send him away? He bites his lip. Daphne elbows him softly and offers him a kind smile. His arm starts flushing where she touched him.
"You'll ace it."

All the students pour out of the dance hall. The class that's usually after Peter's had been moved to one of the other rooms so Touha could use this one for her assessment. At this point he's a bouncing ball of nerves. Daphne waves at him one last time before heading to the changing rooms and then it was just him and Madame Touha in the dance hall.
"So," she starts. "Daphne told me you're a quick learner and that you are more flexible than you look." Peter nods.
"I've been working very hard, Madame." He puts his weight on one foot. "Also maybe a little hyper-flexible." Madame Touha raises an eyebrow at him and he shrugs. "Didn't really know that was a thing until Daphne told me."
"Right." Madame Touha walks to the sound system and plugs in her phone. "Let's start with a simple step sequence."

None of it was simple. Absolutely none of it. Madame Touha made him do short choreo sequences that were more difficult than the ones he'd do in class. At this point he didn't know if she made it this hard for him because she wanted to actually test him, or that she wanted him gone. He is durable, though. And has incredible stamina. He took whatever she threw at him. He even threw back a snarky "that's not a basic step" when she told him to do a cabriole leap at a ninety-degree angle. "I can show you a regular one, though." He wasn't going to let her win this. He wanted to keep going to these classes. For Spider-Man and for Daphne. He wouldn't give up.

"Alright, Mr. Parker." Madame Touha sighs and turns off the music. "You win." Peter finally allows himself to breathe properly. The sweat trickles down his face and back. He feels absolutely disgusting right now, but it was for a good cause. "You really are working hard for this." Peter smiles and makes another leap in his head. "And, as much as I hate to admit it," Madame Touha starts. She turns off the sound system and walks Peter to the door of the dance hall. "You have a very positive influence on Daphne."
"I do?"
"Her technique's already improving again and her mood seems better than it used to be." Madame Touha stops in her tracks and turns to Peter. "Keep her happy, okay?" Peter can feel his heart beat in his head. What does that mean? "She'd been acting off ever since she broke up with that David fellow. You seem to make her feel more at ease. If I find out you're taking advantage of her, you'll be expelled immediately."
"I'm not! I promise Madame."
"Good." Peter presses his lips on top of each other, pondering about whether or not he should be telling Madame Touha this. To be fair, it would only clear things up, so he might as well.

"I met Daphne at the ballet wear store she works at on the weekends. I only found out we both go here because she told me." Madame Touha turns to him with a questioning look on her face. "We were both surprised you paired us up for the Thursday classes. We thought it wasn't a coincidence." Peter pauses. "Was it?"
"It was very much a coincidence." She thinks for a second and then suddenly a warm smile appears on her face. "Maybe it was all just meant to go like this." Peter feels the blood rush to his face.
"M-Maybe." Madame Touha chuckles and then waves him off as she walks to her office.
"I'm going to think about a proposition for the two of you. Go home, Peter. It's late."
"Wait, what kind of-" Madame Touha slams the door shut, leaving Peter in the empty hallway.

Peter took a shower in the changing room before putting on his regular clothes. He shuts the door to the changing room behind him but pauses when he sees there's still light coming out of the women's changing room. Everyone else but Madame Touha has gone home, so there's no reason for the light to still be on. The light switch for the changing room is outside and he decides to turn it off. No one's in there anyw-
"EEK!" Peter flips the switch back on and the door is thrown open. He has to quickly step out of the way to not get hit in the face by the large wooden door.
"Daphne!" He squeaks when he sees her stumble out the changing room. She has a bewildered look on her face.
"Why'd you turn the light off?!"
"I thought no one was in there anymore!"
"Well, I was!"
"How was I supposed to know?!"
"You could've knocked!"
"I guess I could've!"
"And-" Daphne wants to yell another argument, but stops as she realizes what he said. "Wait, what?" Peter breathes out slowly, taking a step back.
"You're right, I should've knocked." Daphne stares at him with absolutely no clue what to do about the sudden diffused situation. People don't usually tell her she's right. She looks at her toes, ashamed of her sudden outburst.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have yelled."
"It's okay, don't worry. I'm sorry for not knocking first." Peter gently grabs her by the shoulders till she looks up at his face. His hands warm up and start tingling, but he ignores the feeling. She has the same look on her face as she did when he swooped in to save her as Spider-Man. His stomach turns into an endless pit. Not again. "Why are you out here so late? Everyone else is already home. Shouldn't you be too?" Tears well up in her eyes and she throws herself against his chest without warning, clutching her arms around his body in a tight hug.
"David," she whispers.
"It's okay," Peter says as he wraps his arms around her. His whole body heats up and starts becoming slightly overwhelming, but he pushes it away. Daphne is the only thing that matters now. "I'm right here, he's not gonna hurt you." He softly puts his cheek down on top of her head. "I won't let him."
"He's outside," she sobs into his shirt. Peter's head shoots up to glare through the glass doors. Surely, a figure in a black hoodie ghosts across the street. Peter tightens his jaw, but relaxes again when he takes a deep breath. He gently pushes Daphne away from his chest until she looks him in the eyes again. She leaves behind a burning heat. He holds her head in his hands and wipes away a tear with his thumb.
"I'll walk you home," he says determined. She leans into his hand and holds it with her own.
"Please, don't let go," she whimpers quietly.
"I won't, I promise." He hugs her again, giving her time to calm down. He wants to press a kiss on top of her head, but he holds back. It's probably the last thing she needs. His entire body is on fire, but that's not important right now. Daphne is important. He whispers. "I got you."