9. Focus

"Ignore him," Peter mumbles as they walk out. Unsure if he said it to Daphne or to himself. He wants to punch the guy in the face. Peter has his arm wrapped around Daphne's shoulder, holding her tightly to him. She once again has her backpack in front of her, clutching it with both arms.
"I'm trying." She lets her head rest against Peter's arm as they walk to the subway with a quick, steady pace. Peter's senses are going into overdrive. Next to Daphne's ghost being all over him from when they hugged, he also feels a strange tingle, like there's danger lurking behind them.
"Don't look back," he urges. "Keep your eyes forward." Daphne sniffs and nods, her breath hitches in her throat.

Wherever they walk or wait, Peter always stands between Daphne and David, shielding her from his stare. They get into the train and Peter guides her to the corner, where she leans against the wall. That was a mistake. She spots David on the opposite side of the train and their eyes lock. He's angry. Very angry. It feels like she got kicked in the stomach and she stops breathing.

"Peter." His name barely escapes her lips and he immediately moves so that she can't see David anymore.
"Hey, hey, look at me." He says, closing the space between them. She looks him straight in the eyes and feels his hands on her arms. They're nice. And somehow very warm. "Focus on me." She nods slowly, not breaking eye contact. She matches her breathing with Peter's and she feels her heartbeat slow down. She has no idea how fast or slow time is going right now. All she sees is him. The intensity of his gaze swallows her whole. His brown eyes are deep and warm. It feels like there's no one else around them, even though the train is crowded with people. Their noses nearly touch and she feels his breath on her skin. It's just the two of them now.

They both jolt back to reality when the robotic voice announces their stop. Peter takes a step back, letting go of her arms. Already?
"This is it." Daphne clears her throat and stretches her back. She turns to the train doors.
"Right, right." Peter pulls his hand through his hair and shuffles in place.

The train comes to a halt and they both get out. Daphne rearranges some things in her backpack on the platform and the train doors close behind them. Peter looks up for a second and spots David as the train starts moving again.
"You alright?" she asks. No. His entire body is screaming at him from all the physical attention he's been getting from Daphne.
"He's still in there." Peter states and he looks back at her. All of her muscles relax.
"Thank God," she sighs. "I'm sorry for taking up so much of your time, Peter."

She starts walking towards the stairs. He follows blindly.
"Don't worry about it."
"No, really. I shouldn't be bothering you with any of this."
"You're not bothering me, Daph," Peter laughs. "And I mean it." They reach the top of the stairs and Daphne puts her backpack on her back again instead of clutching it to her chest. She notices Peter's stare.
"David used to put stuff in it while walking behind me, so when I know he's around I don't have it on my back."
"Stuff?"
"Poems."
"Poems." Peter repeats. "Why poems?"
"He's a writer." It's obvious Daphne doesn't like talking about him, but Peter doesn't want to give up now. He needs to know more.

"How do you know him?" She stops walking and frowns. Her head turns to Peter and she sighs.
"He's in my class."
"Wait, so you go to the same school?" Peter leans against a lamp post.
"We have the exact same curriculum." Peter's mouth falls open at that remark.
"What? How?" She resumes her walk, tightening the straps of her backpack around her shoulders.
"Everyone with the Stark Scholarship gets the same curriculum at my school." Peter chokes on the air he's breathing.
"You're telling me the guy is getting funded by Tony Stark?"
"He sings opera and he's an amazing writer!"
"He's a stalker, Daphne!" She flinches. "Why won't you call-"
"I tried!" She yells. Standing still again. "I tried," she repeats softly, her voice shakes. Peter furrows his brows.

"Explain. Please."
"I've emailed the school countless times. Even went to see the principal." She pauses, her face scrunches in disgust. "They told me to delete the emails and shred the poetry. That it's not so bad. That he'll get over it."
"Wha- why won't they help you?"
"He's their best student, of course they're not gonna believe me." Peter grabs her hand and looks her straight in the eye.
"You have evidence of him stalking you and they don't believe you?"
"It's not that simple."
"Then what makes it difficult?!" She rips her hand from Peter and starts walking away from him. Fast. He rushes after her, swearing at himself when he sees how close her apartment is.

"Go home, Peter," she orders. She runs up the stairs. Fumbling with her keys.
"Daphne, talk to me," Peter begs. "Please." He follows her up the stairs in a sprint as she opens the door. She blocks his path by turning back around to him, but she doesn't look at him.
"Thanks for bringing me home." She shuts the door in his face and walks away, leaving Peter behind.